Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Worzel
Sywell !! what's all this about. What a shame to effectively close this central UK airfield to GA as a flexible alternative en route destination. With its numerous runways self service fuel and other facilities it was a really useful alternative if plans changed last min.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SteveX wrote:So having read the notam it looks like it is/was closed for all the Mondays only in October. Not a drama really is it.

Yet another airfield that could be operated out of hours, most pilots do not need anything apart from permission to use the landing area, - numerous farm strips manage without radio/fire services etc. So what is the problem!
flybymike, Bathman, Iceman and 1 others liked this
By johnm
This sad state of affairs is unique to the UK AFAICS and I wish I knew why we've become such a bureaucratic and restrictive country and what we might do about it. We seem to be in a situation where for many areas "the answer is no, now what was the question?"

Arrivals at the pilots own risk using safetycom is perfectly doable so why not do it, unless the runways are unavailable due WIP or some other use like car testing?
Flyin'Dutch', FrankS, Aerials and 6 others liked this
By Rob P
Why Safetycom?

Many airfields with their own frequency revert to "Calls to 'Traffic'" when closed or non-ATSU

Rob P
johnm, Nick, StratoTramp and 1 others liked this
By Stampe
I used to be a regular visitor and spend a considerable amount of money sadly the airfield has gone into my all to much bother category.The website does not make a visit very appealing.How strange to run a business that way!
Fly Safe Considerate Compliant.
By PeteSpencer
Safetycom should not be used at an aerodrome with its own dedicated/published frequency when it is closed.

Such calls should be made on the published frequency to " (Name of airfield) Traffic": even better if calls are topped and tailed.

Not using your radio when you are equipped with one might do wonders for your own sense of smugness, but does nothing for the situational awareness of those around you.

Peter. :wink:
Iceman, RichJordan, Sooty25 liked this
By ak7274
I won't be going again in a hurry. Lots more Airfields I can visit, with the same facilities and a lot less hassle. It's not as if the village has much to offer. Places like Blackpool, Glenforsa ( Mull), Cromer, Skegness, Caernarfon, Rufforth (York) etc all deliver as destinations with more than just a basic cafe and fly home.