Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Mz Hedy
russp wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:There needs to be a legal air to air frequency for the chat...

There is .. at least for microlights - https://www.bmaa.org/news/bmaa-news/new ... -frequency.

It's not a 'chat' frequency; it's "for the purpose of improving situational awareness". To be honest I'm not sure what the difference is and where the boundary lies.

Before Safetycom I found the Microlight a/g frequency was very busy with air-to-air chat - I once complained to a couple of chatty pilots about 40 miles away that they weren't leaving me enough time to slot in a downwind call, let alone inform of my arrival. Since then I've taken to squelching out the more distant stuff on these channels.
By Genghis the Engineer
I've been known to occasionally transmit something like "Passing flying instructor here, how about some RT discipline chaps" (it's always chaps!).

I recall doing this once and hearing

"Who was that?"

"Oh ****"

Followed by silence.

G
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TopCat wrote:The only reason it was on my radar, so to speak, was as a result of doing some flying in the USA back in the 90s.

The first ever uncontrolled (Unicom) field that I visited in the US was a place called Deland in Florida, a busy parachuting place. My very first call to Unicom was a bit of a tongue-twister :D.

Deland, this is Warrior 846B inbound to land, Deland

Iceman 8)
Paul_Sengupta, patowalker, TopCat and 2 others liked this
By GrahamB
I bought the LED tail beacon for my AA5 over the counter from a very helpful company at DeLand.
Iceman liked this
By T6Harvard
TopCat wrote:
Iceman wrote:Unfortunately, it was a system that was introduced in the UK only in recent years and a lot of pilots really don’t appreciate how to use it. In the US, uncontrolled fields have had Unicom for many years, hence its use is second nature and wholly ingrained in trainee pilots from day 1.

The only reason it was on my radar, so to speak, was as a result of doing some flying in the USA back in the 90s.

I've visited a few fields that use SafetyCom recently, and although I know about it, I'm so out of practice that I have to make a real effort to remember to add the field name at the end of the calls as well as at the beginning.

I would imagine it's actually quite difficult to train for - I bet student pilots very rarely visit airfields that use SafetyCom, and if all you've done is note the bit about it in CAP413 it's unlikely to sink in.

Well if you watch The Flying Reporter visiting Easter (I think) co-incidently just after taking Irv's excellent Comms class then it sticks :mrgreen:
By Miscellaneous
T6Harvard wrote:Well if you watch The Flying Reporter visiting Easter (I think) co-incidently just after taking Irv's excellent Comms class then it sticks :mrgreen:

Of course you also have to remember to use the correct frequency for the particular day of the week you are flying. :wink:
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Miscellaneous wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:Well if you watch The Flying Reporter visiting Easter (I think) co-incidently just after taking Irv's excellent Comms class then it sticks :mrgreen:

Of course you also have to remember to use the correct frequency for the particular day of the week you are flying. :wink:

Don't worry, when I finally get to rent from Highland Aviation I'll check the AIP for the hours of watch :mrgreen:
By kanga
Mz Hedy wrote:.. Microlight a/g frequency was very busy with air-to-air chat - .. a couple of chatty pilots about 40 miles away..

I once staffed an Air Cadet Camp at a RAF, FJ base but active only with a gliding club at weekends. I got permission to fly in for the week, and was advised to use one of the 'glider common' frequencies to self-announce on arrival to 'xxxx Base'. On tuning to it when within ~5 miles I could scarcely get a word in edgeways because of persistent chat among gliders discussing ridge lift conditions near my starting point (Staverton) ~100 miles away :roll:
StratoTramp liked this
By PaulisHome
kanga wrote:
Mz Hedy wrote:.. Microlight a/g frequency was very busy with air-to-air chat - .. a couple of chatty pilots about 40 miles away..

I once staffed an Air Cadet Camp at a RAF, FJ base but active only with a gliding club at weekends. I got permission to fly in for the week, and was advised to use one of the 'glider common' frequencies to self-announce on arrival to 'xxxx Base'. On tuning to it when within ~5 miles I could scarcely get a word in edgeways because of persistent chat among gliders discussing ridge lift conditions near my starting point (Staverton) ~100 miles away :roll:

Gliding now has eight frequencies. Two are used for chat - sorry, situational awareness. Two for air to air at airfields (equivalent of Safetycom), two for comps / training, one for ground retrieval and one for cloud flying.

The SA stuff is quite useful, providing people don't talk incessantly (and there are some who do). If it's kept down to the minimum - position and condition reports - then it's helpful.

I can't think of any good reason why GA shouldn't have one or more air to air frequencies though - the introduction of 8.33 means there are loads available. Unfortunately, I think the CAA are still treating them as if they are scarce.

Paul
By ls8pilot
PaulisHome wrote:
Gliding now has eight frequencies. Two are used for chat - sorry, situational awareness. Two for air to air at airfields (equivalent of Safetycom), two for comps / training, one for ground retrieval and one for cloud flying.

The SA stuff is quite useful, providing people don't talk incessantly (and there are some who do). If it's kept down to the minimum - position and condition reports - then it's helpful.

I can't think of any good reason why GA shouldn't have one or more air to air frequencies though - the introduction of 8.33 means there are loads available. Unfortunately, I think the CAA are still treating them as if they are scarce.

Paul

The original glider & balloon frequencies date way back to when fixed frequency sets, such as adapted PYE Bantam's, were commonly used and crystalled on these specific channels, meaning you could only talk to other gliders..... the advent of affordable ~VHF/Comm sets (particularly the portable ICOM and similar) and the introduction of more airspace put paid to these 30 odd years ago.

The level of "chat" remains a constant problem on the gliding frequencies - it should be just reports of conditions and position and sometimes it's difficult to get an important call (such as a imminent land-out) in edgewise. Many clubs now have their own frequency for "unicom style" circuits or use 129.98 or 118.685 - the problem with not topping and tailing circuit calls with the airfield also happens there .... sigh :roll:
By Sooty25
It would help if more small airfields got their own frequencies to reduce the use of safetycom. As mentioned by @PaulisHome there are plenty available.