Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By adamkpplir
Evening all. As someone who is going through the CRI course training at the moment (which has been an excellent and hugely worthwhile experience for me), I am just intrigued to know, given the course content etc, is there anyone out there who has actually done it with the minimum hours (in the air)? The minimum three hours specified by the regulation seems a bit unrealistic for anyone to get through the requisite content, and reach the required standard for an assessment of competence imho.
By Ibra
Yes very tight but possible if you are very current in flying course/exam aircraft from both seats but best to pair up with someone else and join their flights and they join yours? that makes it 6h…

Having said that most of the action happens on the classroom board and when monitoring the LHS…also doing the flying is the easy bit, doing accurate demo while with patter in tempo is the hard bit :wink:
By adamkpplir
Having said that most of the action happens on the classroom board and when monitoring the LHS…also doing the flying is the easy bit, doing accurate demo while with patter in tempo is the hard bit

I got some good experience of doing that round the circuit today!! It really did emphasise the point that if you can’t fly it near perfectly yourself, then you won’t be able to teach/patter it!
Ibra liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just checked my logbook.

4½hrs + another 2hrs sat in the back with somebody else, and of course the 1:50 skill test.

It all felt pretty intense to me, and this was within a year after passing my CPL. Equally, I felt up to it.

G
adamkpplir liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
VRB_20kt wrote:Is there anything in the CRI course that isn’t covered in the FI(A) course?

Designing and delivering bespoke courses for people with particular needs (e.g. somebody who is 10 years lapsed, has done an assessment flight, and has been found deficient in X and Y, so needs a short course on that).

Certainly bread and butter to a CRI, and covered in my course and tests, but so far as I'm aware not in the standard FI course.

G
By Longfinal
Genghis the Engineer wrote:
VRB_20kt wrote:Is there anything in the CRI course that isn’t covered in the FI(A) course?

Designing and delivering bespoke courses for people with particular needs (e.g. somebody who is 10 years lapsed, has done an assessment flight, and has been found deficient in X and Y, so needs a short course on that).

Certainly bread and butter to a CRI, and covered in my course and tests, but so far as I'm aware not in the standard FI course.

G

Course design is covered in the Teaching and Learning package that is common to both courses.
Andrew Sinclair liked this
By MattL
Doing bespoke courses is just teaching a selection of the air exercises which will all be covered in depth on an FI course.

The most important thing I think a new CRI can do is get themselves a school or experienced FI who will mentor and help them / be able to bounce ideas off when they start out.

Enjoy the course!
Ibra, AndyR liked this
By Ibra
I doubt there is a technical or skill related reason but one main reason is mainly organisational: FIRs are supervised in ATO

Having said that most CRIs are also supervised and work within ATOs under FI/FE supervision but some are freelance...
By Lefty
A new CRI might find it useful to read and maintain a copy of Standards Document 10.
SRG1157 is the examiners checklist for PPL skills test, page 3 of which is quite useful as a checklist for what your students will need to demonstrate to the examiner on an LPC, and thus what you need to ensure they can do safely and competently.
T67M liked this