Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Bathman
And as part of the UK being the best place in the world for GA the CAA changing the regulation so LAPL FI's now need CPL TK to teach for the IMC rating was a backward step.

Of course one can get round this by getting an IRI but that's one hell of a trip round the houses .
By Bathman
Yes and they never used to be the case. They actually changed the regulation a couple of years to prevent it and I have no idea why.

Can't be based on a saftey case as for decades vanilla PPL's with FI rating were able to teach for the IMC.

A real backward step
By adamkpplir
If it weren’t for the fact that one needs the CPL theory to teach for the PPL, then I would have done the FI course instead. Having said that I am looking forward to being able to do some form of an instruction when I qualify as a CRI.
G-BLEW liked this
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Andrew Sinclair wrote:It’s all a bit of a muddle, this belongs to a pal of mine: PPL + FI + 945 + Night Instructor + IRI privileges.

That's interesting.

What's the relevance of CB IR in the IR row? How is their route to the IR relevant?

Paul
By GrahamB
PaulisHome wrote:What's the relevance of CB IR in the IR row? How is their route to the IR relevant?

I believe it's something to do with the reduced TK content not covering High Performance aircraft - if you go on to fly one of those, you'd need to do additional TK (or something like that, anyway).
By Genghis the Engineer
Paul - I have no idea about that either, but they did the same on both my UK-EASA and my UK national CPL/IRs. My Irish EASA CPL/IR also has my IR annotated as "CB" also. Almost as if somebody out there wants the ability to descriminate against people who took the CB route, and thus is keeping things recorded to make that possible.

G
By Genghis the Engineer
GrahamB wrote:
PaulisHome wrote:What's the relevance of CB IR in the IR row? How is their route to the IR relevant?

I believe it's something to do with the reduced TK content not covering High Performance aircraft - if you go on to fly one of those, you'd need to do additional TK (or something like that, anyway).

Interesting point, as whilst clearly there are aircraft management differences in HPA that need to be picked up when you rate for such aircraft, I can't offhand think what in the TK would be different regarding flying IFR in one.

G
By GrahamB
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Interesting point, as whilst clearly there are aircraft management differences in HPA that need to be picked up when you rate for such aircraft, I can't offhand think what in the TK would be different regarding flying IFR in one.

Comparing the LOs would give the answer to that, but I'll leave that to you. :D
By Sir Morley Steven
We do the CRI course. The 35 hours ground school is the most vital part of the course. The three hours flying will get you through the AoC.
Similarly the FI course has far fewer hours that a PPL course so students can’t learn to teach the whole course in the air. But again the 150 hours ground school is vital.
I do the FI courses along with a new FIC instructor. Boy, it’s exhausting (for me) but my studes say it’s a lot of fun!
Andrew Sinclair liked this
GrahamB wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Interesting point, as whilst clearly there are aircraft management differences in HPA that need to be picked up when you rate for such aircraft, I can't offhand think what in the TK would be different regarding flying IFR in one.

Comparing the LOs would give the answer to that, but I'll leave that to you. :D

I have, sadly, become very familiar with the LOs and it is as mentioned, predominately the lack of HPA LOs in the TK of the CB-IR training route to IR. The particular instructor has completed the HPA element and actual CPL TK exams as well so the comment and the restrictions have been removed; this is an old image. The same instructor had, at that stage also completed the ME CRI so restricted to LAPL apart from SE CRI, ME CRI, night ratings, IMC ratings which is why it appears a bit of a muddle.
GrahamB liked this
By Capt Edmund
For thse that want to know, the LAPL restriction is clearly stated as' LAPL Only' among the privileges.

As for CRI vs FI work, I find teaching the syllabus to ab-initio far more straightforward. There is a syllabus of exercises and you get to track a students progress through it and manage their weaknesses and the thoroughness of their knowledge over time. Doing Renewal work is far more challenging. You have to get an idea of the person you're flying with to try to prepare the flight. Will it be a single run through the classic steep turns, stalls, PFL with you saying very little, circuits. Will you need to spend time doing nav and a practice diversion? Are they up to speed on their checks? How many things do they do in a different way and will you need to adapt to them? Then you go and do the flight and have to readjust on the bounce as you work out how close they are to your expectations and, of course, they're keen to get it done promptly as they know how to fly. That and they're far more likely to scare me by doing something unexpected. Far more engaging!
By adamkpplir
For what it’s worth since my original post, I managed to complete the course today against all odds with the weather, and getting a flat nosewheel tyre on the first attempt to get airborne today, not something I’d experienced before. I am ready for the AOC with 4 hrs and 55 mins of airborne training. Whilst slightly apprehensive about the AOC, I am looking forward to the potential avenues it will open up for me should I pass.
Andrew Sinclair, Ibra, G-BLEW and 2 others liked this