Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Chalet Suzanne. In the middle of Florida between Vero Beach and Tampa.

Nothing but a grass strip. But you walk down to the quirky pink Chalet Suzanne Inn, overlooking a lake.

At least you did. It looks like the inn closed so I guess there's no point anymore. :cry:

If you like relaxed flying, I recommend Florida. Pilots' Paradise can sort you out.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
RichJordan wrote:Plockton. Absolutely blew my mind the first time I visited, phenomenal views on approach. Short walk down to the town/harbour for food. Wonderful. Get it on a good day and it could convince you that you never need to leave the British Isles.

Now that does look nice. I'd never even heard of it.

Troutbeck, Bute.

They're too short for me, sadly. I could get into either easily enough, and theoretically I could get out on a cold day with a wind down the strip but under 500m would feel as if I was pushing it.

Although on Google Earth Bute looks longer than the 480m shown in SD.

Great locations, though. What do you fly that can get in and out of those reasonably easily?
By Iceman
@TopCat, for those that haven’t done Plockton, it is a gorgeous little village on the seaside. This is a recent approach to runway 02 in the TB20 (the video title wrongly states runway 20 :D). The village is about a 20 minute walk from the airfield. The airfield is unmanned with an honesty box for landing fee.

Iceman 8)
Nick, TopCat, Harleyatrix liked this
TopCat wrote:They're too short for me, sadly. I could get into either easily enough, and theoretically I could get out on a cold day with a wind down the strip but under 500m would feel as if I was pushing it.

Although on Google Earth Bute looks longer than the 480m shown in SD.

Great locations, though. What do you fly that can get in and out of those reasonably easily?

CTSW.

The upside of being rubbish at landings is that it’ll get out of anything I can get it into, but 350m is pretty straightforward.

Edit to add: While wonderful, Troutbeck is especially unforgiving for aircraft with marginal take off performance
Last edited by RichJordan on Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Forfoxake
Bute, Kingarth Strip: The informality (PPR not needed), the very cheap yearly card (and free this year), the views of Arran, the short walk to the beach or the Kingarth Inn (currently still closed) or the Kilchattan Bay Post Office for a snack.

All this within 30 minutes flying from my base- that is probably why I have visited 226 times (and counting)!

Runners-up:
Plockton, Glenforsa, Perth, Dornoch, Athey's Moor, Newtownards, Breighton, Old Warden, Sywell, Duxford, Stow Maries, Headcorn, Popham (though long time, no see) and my new almost no.1, Beccles.

In continental Europe: Schwenningen Flugplatz in the Black Forrest.
In North America: Cedar Key Beach Airport in Florida.
Last edited by Forfoxake on Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iceman liked this
Forfoxake wrote:Bute, Kingarth Strip: The informality (PPR not needed), the very cheap yearly card (and free this year), the views of Arran, the short walk to the beach or the Kingarth Inn (currently still closed) or the Kilchattan Bay Post Office for a snack.

All this within 30 minutes flying from my base- that is probably why I have visited 226 times (and counting)!

Runners-up:
Plockton, Glenforsa, Perth, Dornoch, Athey's Moor, Newtownards, Breighton, Old Warden, Sywell, Duxford, Stow Maries, Headcorn, Popham (though long time, no see) and my new almost no.1, Beccles.

in continental Europe: Schwenningen Flugplatz in the Black Forrest.

Never been to Beccles, but it’s only an hour or so from my base in Huddersfield, so could add it to my winter rotation.

What’s there?
By Forfoxake
RichJordan wrote:
Forfoxake wrote:Bute, Kingarth Strip: The informality (PPR not needed), the very cheap yearly card (and free this year), the views of Arran, the short walk to the beach or the Kingarth Inn (currently still closed) or the Kilchattan Bay Post Office for a snack.

Runners-up:

In continental Europe: Schwenningen Flugplatz in the Black Forrest.

Never been to Beccles, but it’s only an hour or so from my base in Huddersfield, so could add it to my winter rotation.

What’s there?

Friendly staff, a great cafe, cheap but comfortable accommodation right on the field, reasonably priced fuel, lots of activity with light aircraft and microlight training schools and a parachuting club. And a pub within walking distance!
Iceman, RichJordan liked this
Was........ Wickenby.

Because the Gals were superb, the food excellent, the Gadge on the radio was easy going, what not to like. However as all this madness hit, apparently the Bell End owner - (I here he did a fine peal at Lincoln Cathedral) stopped all the fun and they closed and left.

Boo !

So, now we do Leeesssessster. Great Caff, lovely ladies on reception, no hassle.

In summer - got to be Cromer for themed 'Does', anytime else, get a cab - his name is Barbra, smashing fish 'n' chips.

Fishburn - book if going on a weekend and go hungry - OMFG....... !!!

Fenland - the challenge is to find it, but when found, the food is good.

Wellesbourne - Ace

Halfpenny Green - Ace

Kemble - too far, but excellent.

Lee on Solent - super friendly and awesome seafood place 10 mins walk away.

Glenrothes - Tipsy Nipper - best Scampi for ever.

Glenforsa...... Just - well - just..... :mrgreen:

Caernarvon - very good.

Tibenham - now then, then now... A gliding club - Shussssh. What a super place. Ace people ( no not you P) an excellent caff and laid back arrangement for our little aeroplane and our big aeroplane.

Welshpool had good cakes - very good cakes, but no baps - that was a year or two ago.

Leeesessster has it at present :thumleft: :thumleft:
mick w, Iceman liked this
Iceman wrote:@flyer5, did you bump into my instructor mate Tony Pool at Pilots Paradise ? Iceman 8)

Probably just Ollie's dad.

We were very lucky. There was a last minute glitch so we got put in a flat on the ocean, a few minutes' walk from the centre of Vero Beach. It was the biggest property I'd ever been in apart from Chatsworth House. It was deserted. It seems people only appear in Florida for specific periods despite the properties costing millions. It was reminiscent of The Shining. The plane was parked up right outside where it was born - the Piper factory. To get to it we had to use the executive jet terminal. A taste of the world of the rich. The plane was fitted with an autopilot but I didn't have time to find out how to work it. It did have a Garmin 400W GPS for easy flying although SkyDemon worked like a peach as you might have expected. It was really relaxing going to airfields - some really quite big - without any ground radio, just talking to any other aircraft who might be around.
Iceman liked this
By Forfoxake
Trent772 wrote:Was........ Wickenby.

Because the Gals were superb, the food excellent, the Gadge on the radio was easy going, what not to like. However as all this madness hit, apparently the Bell End owner - (I here he did a fine peal at Lincoln Cathedral) stopped all the fun and they closed and left.

Boo !

So, now we do Leeesssessster. Great Caff, lovely ladies on reception, no hassle.

In summer - got to be Cromer for themed 'Does', anytime else, get a cab - his name is Barbra, smashing fish 'n' chips.

Fishburn - book if going on a weekend and go hungry - OMFG....... !!!

Fenland - the challenge is to find it, but when found, the food is good.

Wellesbourne - Ace

Halfpenny Green - Ace

Kemble - too far, but excellent.

Lee on Solent - super friendly and awesome seafood place 10 mins walk away.

Glenrothes - Tipsy Nipper - best Scampi for ever.

Glenforsa...... Just - well - just..... :mrgreen:

Caernarvon - very good.

Tibenham - now then, then now... A gliding club - Shussssh. What a super place. Ace people ( no not you P) an excellent caff and laid back arrangement for our little aeroplane and our big aeroplane.

Welshpool had good cakes - very good cakes, but no baps - that was a year or two ago.

Leeesessster has it at present :thumleft: :thumleft:

Yeah, Wickenby used to be one of my favourites too.
pembroke liked this
Iceman wrote:@Miscellaneous, definitely interested in the video, but I’m not on WhatsApp so I’ll see about signing up.

Iceman 8)

I don't do Facebook direct (WhatsApp is owned by FB) so I find it handy for sending images and very short videos. A 17 sec video from a phone is not overly exciting, nevertheless it would be nice to add to your, no doubt, extensive collection. :wink:

Let me know when you sign up and I'll forward it. :thumright:
Iceman liked this