Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
skydriller wrote:This is supposed to be about "your favorite airfield". I can list loads of airfields that were friendly when I landed there, but its kinda hard to actually name a favorite airfield when I like flying for the destination ...

You have reminded me that Quiberon MUST rate pretty highly.

Venice Lido used to, but a really bad experience with Venice itself means I am unlikely ever to return.

Rob P
rogerb liked this
After today’s flight I have to say Leeds East @ Church Fenton.
- A warm welcome;
- No BS;
- Self Serve Fuel at a reasonable price;
- No little Hitler types marching around talking cr@p;
- Sensible Hi Viz policy;
- Great AGCS who coordinates with Scottish Control for Airways clearances.
- Nice cafe with lovely food and professional people providing a great service.
- Did I say no BS, and prima donna types;
- Landing fee waived when you uplift some fuel.

I will be going back a lot!! 8)
StratoTramp, mick w, Flyingfemme and 3 others liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Im trying to work out how you get the words "sensible" with "high vis" and "policy" in the same sentance. :lol:

There is either "no policy" or there is a "high vis policy". :?

Unless you are flying out of the likes of Heathrow or Frankfurt and are parked up (and expected to wander around unaccompanied) near the multitude of ground vehicles being driven wildly at such places, then I cant see how any "high vis policy" could be "sensible".

And even at "big CAT airports" do GA pilots and pax really need Hi Viz?? The truth is that GA usually gets stuck over in some quiet corner of a big airport where there are no vehicles except the one being driven by the guy that is coming to "handle" you... so one would hope he knows you are there and doesnt run you over... :roll:

Regards, SD..
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anywhere that’ll have me, and it’s even better if it has sausages. :D

Joking aside, the best all round airfield in the UK is Popham, hands down. It’s not picturesque, or particularly impressive in any way. It’s just a good friendly airfield, that’s always nice to visit.
Andrew Sinclair, Kittyhawk, AndyR and 2 others liked this
TheFarmer wrote:Joking aside, the best all round airfield in the UK is Popham, hands down. It’s not picturesque, or particularly impressive in any way. It’s just a good friendly airfield, that’s always nice to visit.

…you hit the nail on the head! @TheFarmer, so often it seems to me these days that airfields seem to be ‘difficult’; extra procedures that are perhaps not needed or at least I don’t see why, you cannot be trusted to put fuel in your own aircraft, you cannot use the RNP because it is reserved for approved traffic only hi viz/low viz, on line PPR, off line PPR, ring up to check you have PPR, huffy ATS providers etc etc etc :furious: I go some places and feel that I am ‘unworthy’ to land on hallowed ground. I go to someone like LEA and my faith is restored.

Now has anyone got a spare life, I need to get ‘one’ :lol:
JodelDavo liked this
As someone who definitely prefers a strip, a picnic and a walk rather than a cafe, my picks are all a bit light on the amenities….

Plockton. Absolutely blew my mind the first time I visited, phenomenal views on approach. Short walk down to the town/harbour for food. Wonderful. Get it on a good day and it could convince you that you never need to leave the British Isles.

Troutbeck, slightly tricky strip, warm welcome, beautiful views, pub nearby. Most impressive strip views I’ve found in England (and the location of my profile pic).

Bute. My go-to day out to impress friends/share the wonder of flying. Fly up via Arran, picnic lunch under the wing with mountain and sea views, paddle in the sea, home by mid afternoon. Often my first non-Yorkshire-ish flight in spring.