Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
As per the title, which is your airfield and why?

I passed my skills test last year and and going about checking out as many new places as I can. My favourite so far has to be Goodwood. It's extremely well kept, but the best part is the cafe. The food they serve is brilliant and the cakes are simply amazing. I do like a good cake :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think that Ghenghis’ question is somewhat different to ‘what is your favourite ?’. For a non-base airfield, if I was to choose a favourite based on number of times visited, then it would probably be Le Touquet, but I don’t go there for the airport itself. My favourites would probably include the following:

Glenforsa
Plockton
Sandown
Dunkeswell
Isles of Scilly
Jersey
Alderney
Lundy
Cannes
Venice

One common theme there is that, apart from Dunkeswell, they’re all close to the sea. In other respects, they’re all quite different, but all are locations that have something great to offer.

Iceman 8)
Last edited by Iceman on Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favourite is a particular small farm strip in the East Midlands.

Why, because the land it lies upon has a good part of every working day of my life invested in it and it is the place where I am fortunate enough to be able to welcome many good friends to share in the fun of life and flying . But perhaps most importantly, it is the place I look forward to returning to every time from the many flying adventures far and near that it has at least in part facilitated.

It is home.
G-BLEW, mick w, patowalker and 16 others liked this
Old Warden comes first for me, it's the atmosphere of the early days of aviation it's grass, it has a decent caff, they don't bother with A/G, and the PPR isn't arduous.

Rob P
By AndyR
Other than the farmstrip I’m fortunate enough to fly from:

Compton Abbas - views, staff, food and friendliness
Sandown - just feels right and good access to the island
Glenforsa - the hotel, the island, the vistas
Oban - approach to Rwy19, the usual flight up/down the Great Glen, another that just feels right
By mick w
Never had anything other than a friendly welcome at any of these 'northern' Airfields :-
Leicester
Fenland
Cromer
Netherthorpe
North Coates
Sturgate (flying club)
Breighton
Beverley
Fishburn
Plus loads of smaller Strips , so lucky up here . :thumright:

Sorry skydriller ...Breighton :wink:
Last edited by mick w on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By skydriller
This is supposed to be about "your favorite airfield". I can list loads of airfields that were friendly when I landed there, but its kinda hard to actually name a favorite airfield when I like flying for the destination - as mentioned in the other thread. I dont think there are many airfields I have visited just to sit at or visit just the airfield, unless it was for an airshow, or there is a museum onsite like Duxford or Old Warden.
Rob P liked this
Duxford: There’s always something else interesting flying. If you’ve not had a Spitfire taxi past, or held for a Hurricane, or Moth, it’s been a very unusual day.

Beccles: Friendly, well set up, good food, if you like flying along coastlines, this is the one for you!

Sandown (IoW): Amazing place and amazing flight to get there.

Want to go back to:
Sleap
H’penny Green
By StratoTramp
@Iceman I really enjoyed my flight and circuits at Dunkeswell. That's my favourite yet.

I enjoyed my car visits to Popham and Sywell. Other than that only been to Deenethorpe from Sackville. So I haven't got much to chose from at the moment.

I want to link my flying with hiking. So will checkout some of the ones on your list as good to have surrounding things to do.