Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flyer5 wrote:It seems like the semi-official policy of the CAA is if you are going near big airports you should use GPS.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cue a whole bunch of posts on the CAA's views of GPS use. :clown:
By flyer5
Minor point: the Luton Pack sample R/T does not mention VFR on the initial call.

I'm assuming they think it's going to be obvious.

So when you call destination airports, in general, do you bother to say VFR?
By Rob P
flyer5 wrote:So when you call destination airports, in general, do you bother to say VFR?

When I remember. About 40% of the time I guess. Presumably less important these days as equipped units will see my 7000 squawk

Seeing @Cessna571 's typo

Cessna571 wrote:They recommend SiyDemon and Runway HD!

I do wonder if stealth fighters use SlyDemon?

Rob P
JAFO, kanga liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
flyer5 wrote:So my point was whilst GPS is important avoiding controlled airspace, does it have any special benefits once you enter controlled airspace?

No, as I said, they'll expect that you know where you are regardless.

flyer5 wrote:Once they know who you are, what you're up to and can talk to you, the chances of big problems occurring are massively reduced.

Especially if you're inside their airspace! ;-)

flyer5 wrote:So when you call destination airports, in general, do you bother to say VFR?

I don't tend to. I think there's a general default to VFR unless IFR is specified, even though it should strictly be mentioned.
By JAFO
Rob P wrote:I do wonder if stealth fighters use SlyDemon?

I can neither confirm nor deny whether police aircraft use StyDemon.
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
When one of the Reds had an engine failure in transit up the coast of Norway he used a portable Garmin pilot 3 to find and successfully land on a tiny strip on an offshore island.

I believe the pilot got some sort of award for landing and not banging out. :wink:
By Paul_Sengupta
VRB_20kt wrote:You can tell who’s using gps when they report “seven nautical miles north of (some city)”

"Seven point three miles"...
By PeteSpencer
VRB_20kt wrote:You can tell who’s using gps when they report “seven nautical miles north of (some city)”

Whereas old farts using steam VOR/DMEs for RNAV for old times' sake will report '4 D' (or 4' DME') :lol:
By flyer5
Slightly off-topic, I was recently at Wellesbourne. They have a precise, irregular circuit for noise abatement reasons. When I got there it was sitting on SkyDemon so I just followed the line like being on a fairground ride (and about the same price :lol: )
By malcolmfrost
flyer5 wrote:Slightly off-topic, I was recently at Wellesbourne. They have a precise, irregular circuit for noise abatement reasons. When I got there it was sitting on SkyDemon so I just followed the line like being on a fairground ride (and about the same price :lol: )

Uh-Oh Incoming :D :D
Miscellaneous liked this
By TheFarmer
Yep, that’s quite literally cr@p flying, and something g you don’t really want to admit to.

Sorry.
By Sooty25
I find road names and junction numbers tends to get the attention of most controllers.
By rdfb
flyer5 wrote:So my point was whilst GPS is important avoiding controlled airspace, does it have any special benefits once you enter controlled airspace?

I think that the entire "special benefit" is solely to make it easier for the pilot to discharge the responsibilities that all pilots have already, GPS or no GPS. It's just much harder work and more error-prone to do that without a moving map, especially in today's much more complicated UK airspace.

I can't think of any "special benefit" of a moving map in any kind of airspace that involves anyone who isn't the pilot. Your interactions with everyone else remain exactly the same precisely because your responsibilities remain exactly the same.

Example: I remember an occasion I entered controlled airspace (for the purpose of landing at the controlling aerodrome) and got a (VFR) clearance limit of a VRP I wasn't expecting, and thus hadn't briefed. A moving map made it easier to find and navigate to. Had I been using a paper chart, I'd be routing to it nonetheless, albeit with some additional delay and embarrassment in appearing incompetent.