Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
#Sooty - do you use one of the standard templates from the Martin Lewis website?
Presumably you are sorting it out as you had the notice to keeper - or did your daughter get a windscreen ticket.

Same happened to my daughter on the 14th Nov , right where she lives. She has an allocated bay but was dropping off the shopping on the access road - always has done lived there 5yrs or more - and the PCN claims she parked outside of a marked bay.

Although there is a notice as you drive into the estate that its "Private", how is it on a private estate the local council still empty the bins and send a roadsweeper. Can a housing developer arrange road adoption by L.Auth when it suits them for bins and street cleaning and then claim its private when the parking cowboys need some cash ??

Needless to say I am also sorting it out for her.

Kids eh !
:pale:
Flying_john wrote:#Sooty - do you use one of the standard templates from the Martin Lewis website?
Presumably you are sorting it out as you had the notice to keeper - or did your daughter get a windscreen ticket.

haven't looked at ML yet. It's a ANPR camera PCN by post. No dispute she was over the time, but its whether 3 minutes is reasonable, I think it's unreasonable and I can also be quite unreasonable sometimes! :twisted:

Initially taking a different approach. The car park is behind a shop, but the signs imply it it managed by an unrelated Parking Company. However, a quick look on companycheck, revealed the parking company is solely operated by the MD of the shop chain! It uses a rented mailing address to shift its location and no phone number to try and hide.
Daft thing is, he lives quite close, although the Parking company directorship uses the mailing address, his other company shows his home address.

I'll be polite, but he's getting 2 choices, cancel it or, have it cost him far more in time and hassle than that the £100 ticket will generate.

Kids eh !
:pale:

Yeah, if she hadn't bought a ticket, or was stupidly overdue, she'd be paying it, but 3 minutes....
Flying_john liked this
By Flying_john
Unreasonable yes - we had one of those a couple of years ago (wife this time). I challenged it on the grounds of unreasonable, sent them a cheque for a pound (I think it was a pound / hour) and told them I would see them in court.
Nothing further heard, didnt cash my cheque.
Apparently there is some new legislation on the cards for next year (according to ML) and there are various quotes from Hansard on parking cowboys , not nice phraseology.

The problem is in my daughters neighbourhood they do get commercial vans left overnight up on pavements, blocking people in etc etc and when the Mums come to take the kiddies to school the pavements are blocked for pushchairs and cars often blocked by vans where driver is still tucked up in bed. So there is a need for some control but the approach is a scatter gun one instead of targeted at the real miscreants.
Maybe what is needed is a realistic assessment of the parking needs of the population and a planning stragegy to provide that parking in a safe and cost-effective manner? I have seen "planners" state that, "if we build homes without parking, people without cars will buy them". And that in a remote, country location very poorly served by public transport!
By skydriller
Flyingfemme wrote:Maybe what is needed is a realistic assessment of the parking needs of the population and a planning stragegy to provide that parking in a safe and cost-effective manner? I have seen "planners" state that, "if we build homes without parking, people without cars will buy them". And that in a remote, country location very poorly served by public transport!

This^^^^
Ive lost count of the number of "development proposals" Ive seen where the glossy pics dont have a car in them. I have had the misfortune to visit friends in a new development where there was literally no parking - and this where the development was within a couple of minute's drive from a main 4-lane highway... :roll:
Flying_john wrote:Needless to say I am also sorting it out for her.

Kids eh !

Sooty25 wrote:Yeah, if she hadn't bought a ticket, or was stupidly overdue, she'd be paying it, but 3 minutes....

Seems to me the problem lies with the parents volunteering to sort it out. :D :wink:

Sooty25 wrote:I can also be quite unreasonable sometimes! :twisted:

I'm genuinely surprised. :D
Sooty25 liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
Sooty25 wrote: ...
Yeah, if she hadn't bought a ticket, or was stupidly overdue, she'd be paying it, but 3 minutes....

But that was 3 minutes beyond the grace period (10 - 15 minutes typically). Is it fair to expect a grace period on the grace period? [\Devil's advocate]
By Duo802
Big Dex wrote:@Gwynge , but if they take you through the county court system and win anything (full amount claimed or not), you will have a CCJ recorded against you, with the corresponding effects on your credit file for years (6) to come.

Personally, I am that low hanging fruit. If raising it with Transair doesn’t get it set aside, I’d pay it and move on.

You would only have a CCJ if the court found in favour of the parking company and you then failed to pay up.
By Sooty25
Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 wrote:
Sooty25 wrote: ...

But that was 3 minutes beyond the grace period (10 - 15 minutes typically). Is it fair to expect a grace period on the grace period? [\Devil's advocate]

In principle I agree with you, but a £100 charge for 3 minutes when the parking is only £1 an hour and she'd already paid for 4 hours, is the bit I have a problem with.

The grace period does appear to be 10 minutes, she was 13 minutes over her actual time, but, the grace period is still there and can be repeatedly used. As it is an hourly car park, you could argue she was entitled to 4 blocks of 10 minutes!

The ANPR system is automated, so just spits out letters at low cost. If it had sent a bill for a fiver or tenner, it would have been paid without question, but £100 is taking the P.
My (limited) understanding - based on Martin Lewis and others - is that provided the parking firm do not know the identity of the driver, they will be unable to enforce the 'fine'.

ISTR that many of these parking firms direct you to a website where you can appeal; the real point is for you to specify who was driving - and that's how they then 'get you'. As the registered keeper, there is no evidence that you were the one driving (camera footage likely not high enough quality) and so your defence is simply: it wasn't me.

MSR advocates just ignoring it, or send them stalling letters without specifying who was driving; after 4 months I believe they can't bring a claim against you and you can ignore it fully.
By Sooty25
Just tracked the director down on Facebook, he has no security set on his profile! :twisted:

Oh dear me.

wouldn't you have thought, that if you were going to set up a business who's sole purpose in life is to P people off, you'd hide yourself (and your family members) a bit better than this?

I'm going to have some fun, if he doesn't respond.
By kanga
Flyingfemme wrote:.. I have seen "planners" state that, "if we build homes without parking, people without cars will buy them". ..

a cynic might describe that as a gist of what is now described as a 'garden village' (see, eg, initial Fairoaks proposals)
By Rob P
Slight thread drift.

Arrangements unravelled the week before last as we drove to Hesdin-l'Abbé and The Somme.

As a result I totally forgot to pay the outbound Dartford Crossing charge.

Realising this I paid it on the fifth day, more in hope than expectation. Inevitably the "Give us thirty-five quid" letter arrived a few days later.

However, attempting to pay this I'm informed there is no sum outstanding. It appears that for a first offence it is possible to be a bit late.

Rob P
Sooty25 liked this