Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By joystick
Good evening, Recently I drove to Shoreham to visit Transair , I drove in by the main terminal building and parked round the side by Transair(it had a transair sign on the fence for parking) and today I got a parking fine from the parking company which operates the charges for the airport ....£80 !

I called Transair and apparently you only get 15 mins grace, the rough carpark from the road to Transair I think there is no time limit.

So just wondered if anyone had this problem and to warn others just in case.
joystick wrote:Good evening, Recently I drove to Shoreham to visit Transair , I drove in by the main terminal building and parked round the side by Transair(it had a transair sign on the fence for parking) and today I got a parking fine from the parking company which operates the charges for the airport ....£80 !

I called Transair and apparently you only get 15 mins grace, the rough carpark from the road to Transair I think there is no time limit.

So just wondered if anyone had this problem and to warn others just in case.

They can't "fine" you. If you look closely you will probably see it's a "charge". Essentially it's an invoice. I went through this recently with a company and the £100 reduced to £60 they accepted £12.50 after I offered that. They aren't actually really allowed to charge you a penalty, it would have to be reasonable for them to collect whatever they think you owe them and mostly they aren't. Check the signs and see if it was clear. Check the internet on the subject, a lot of good advice out there. Worst case, as it's a private company is that they could sue you for it, but it would be in small claims and so they could only charge the cost of issuing the claim on top, which is I think £30 at the moment. So tell them to Foxtrot Oscar and if they persist then worst case is £110. But I despise these activities and will always try to find a way out of them. I've never fully paid a parking fine (council) or charge (private) and mostly never paid at all. They go for the low hanging fruit. If you make it hard for them then they'll probably give up as it's too much aggravation. Anyway, do some research..
joystick, Flying_john, Flyin'Dutch' and 2 others liked this
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A lot of car parks these days are installing automatic number plate readers, including your local pub and supermarket.

If you park on car park that is on private land, there are signposts where it says you are deemed to accept the T's and C's of parking and the charges that you will incur if you overstay the free period, from the details obtained by the DVLA.

You should be able to contact the landowner who will, at their discretion, agree to waive the charge. I have done this on a number of occasions at several other places and it has worked.
By Big Dex
@Gwynge , but if they take you through the county court system and win anything (full amount claimed or not), you will have a CCJ recorded against you, with the corresponding effects on your credit file for years (6) to come.

Personally, I am that low hanging fruit. If raising it with Transair doesn’t get it set aside, I’d pay it and move on.
By James Chan
An example of a car park sign. I believe there is legislation to ensure they must be clearly signposted:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6541145 ... 384!8i8192
joystick liked this
By joystick
patowalker wrote:7 Cecil Pashley Way
https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZaDY2FBUk8D5WugBA

In this view the Transair car park has no time limit I think but only has about 3 or 4 spaces round the other side which is marked Transair is where I parked but of course I have to drive round the terminal building to get to it and the cameras got me.
The person I spoke to at Transair said they had approached the airport management about some permit or enter a reg but they weren't interested .
Just thought I would warn others.
I suppose the landing fee is cheaper ! :)
By PeteSpencer
Take it on the chin
Pay up
Learn from it
Move on. :thumleft:

EDIT/apology/retraction:

Apologies:

I mis-remembered the charge only being a tenner and didn't re- read the thread before posting.

So if I were in your position I would send them a cheque for a tenner (as suggested elsewhere) "in full and final settlement".

That will get them off your back for a while and buys you time to decide if you want to play with them or @Farmer your way out.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joystick liked this