Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So you parked in an allocated Transair customer space and actually bought something from them... and they say there is nothing they can do... :ncool:

BTW, Im so glad there are people that have the resources to be able to say "just pay up and move on". .. :roll:
Hello Skydriller , I didn't buy was browsing , Just had a reply from the Airport and apparently it's staff only parking and it is clearly marked ,so will check next time ! The sign on the fence only says Transair , so maybe they should add staff .
By patowalker
joystick wrote:Hello Skydriller , I didn't buy was browsing , Just had a reply from the Airport and apparently it's staff only parking and it is clearly marked ,so will check next time ! The sign on the fence only says Transair , so maybe they should add staff .

The sign on the fence says Transair Customer Parking. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZaDY2FBUk8D5WugBA
joystick liked this
Dont pay it. Ignore all letters. You may well get a string of ever-threatening letters for months, my last was a multi page Means Test form 'prior to proceedings' in respect of an 'overstay' by a few minutes in a prepay private car park
They wont take you to court. They just work on the basis that you will get sufficiently frightened and cough up.
HP
joystick, Flyin'Dutch', PeteSpencer and 1 others liked this
patowalker wrote:
joystick wrote:Hello Skydriller , I didn't buy was browsing , Just had a reply from the Airport and apparently it's staff only parking and it is clearly marked ,so will check next time ! The sign on the fence only says Transair , so maybe they should add staff .

The sign on the fence says Transair Customer Parking. https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZaDY2FBUk8D5WugBA

Yes that is correct (only a few spaces ) To the left of the big Transair sign is another car park, that is where I parked. there used to be a motorcycle bay there years ago.

Thanks for all the replies .
Big Dex wrote:@Gwynge , but if they take you through the county court system and win anything (full amount claimed or not), you will have a CCJ recorded against you, with the corresponding effects on your credit file for years (6) to come.

If it goes to court and you lose, then clearly you should pay up. Then a CCJ can be removed almost immediately. But I think the suggestion is that it is unlikely to go to court, and if it does you are unlikely to lose, if you have made a reasonable offer beforehand.
joystick liked this
By riverrock
joystick wrote:Yes that is correct (only a few spaces ) To the left of the big Transair sign is another car park, that is where I parked. there used to be a motorcycle bay there years ago.

So in front of the terminal?
There are signs (according to google street view) but they aren't at the entrance to the area - only behind certain spaces, so it could be argued that the signs only apply to the spaces they are infront of.

Question is whether its worth your effort in challenging.
By James Chan
A bit strange: "private land"? The land (freehold) is owned by the council but the airport is leased for some 25 years to Cyrrus to be managed / operated?
By MikeE
There must be clear signage - that is it must be clearly visible to anyone who stops - to say that if you park there, or park for longer than a certain time, you will be liable to a charge. And it must be clear as to where it applies. Such signs usually say something along the lines of you agreeing to the terms by parking there. It is not difficult for the company to pursue you since the law was changed to make clamping on private property unlawful when the quid pro quo was that private companies could pursue you through the courts. In terms of what amounts to reasonableness of the charge a decision of the Supreme Court a couple of years ago (I think) suggested in the circumstances of that case that a charge of £120 was reasonable (I cannot remember the actual details, but it was something like that). You may therefore decide that a charge of £60 is unlikely to be considered unreasonable.

When such charges are issued I am pretty sure they must inform you of the right of appeal to an independent adjudicator - so if you think the charge was incorrectly issued for whatever reason you can make a case to them. I have been involved in a handful of appeals in which there were in my view grounds for appeal and they have all been upheld, so the system does work. But you do need grounds for appeal rather than submit that it was unfair.

The bottom line is if the sign was there and it was clear that you would be charged for parking there, then it's best to pay up and learn from the experience. You could refuse to pay or ignore the demands but then if it goes to court you may well end up paying the full sum plus costs. However, if it does go to court you would not have a county court judgement entered against you if you decided to pay before the case comes up or before I think 30 days have expired after judgement is entered (I would strongly recommend finding out the exact details if you go down that route, though).

Good luck!

Mike
Colonel Panic, Rob P liked this
By riverrock
joystick wrote:Riverrock I didn't park in front of terminal but in a separate bit to the right side of the terminal that had a sign saying Transair ,hopefully I can attach a old pic :)

If it hasn't changed since the google map pics, you had to go past the large "Pay and Display" sign to get to that location, and in this pic you can see the T&C sign in that area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8334374 ... 312!8i6656

My experience of the appeals process isn't good.
Its run by parking companies themselves, so not truly independent. Unless the error is glaring, they normally find against you.