Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So PPR the previous day, or even 4 hours before, gives you all the information you need that would otherwise be given via ATIS? Such that ATC doesn't need to pass you any info on arrival? So there you are, 5 miles out, with the wrong QFE/QNH, positioning for the wrong runway, unaware that the runway is soaked and that viz is terrible to the north. And the CAA believe this?

This is has probably won the award for the most stupid regulatory decision ever made since the turn of the decade.

It is a hacked solution around what really needs to be fixed - the impact of Ofcom frequency charges on small to mid sized airfields.

The involved organisations are owned publically: The CAA, Ofcom and Gloucestershire City and Cheltenham Borough Council, and money is just being moved around them.

And there is a public interest for them to get it sorted.
Last edited by James Chan on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SimplePPR
Hi All,

New to this forum, I am developing a web based PPR request system for airfields, as a pilot myself I have found many airfields have different procedures for requesting PPR, some by phone, some by direct email, some by a web form that doesnt always work and some by their website and it works well.

My plan is to standardise PPR requests into one system that airfields can use for a small monthly fee or yearly fee, to streamline and improve PPR requests and potentially get more pilots flying into your airfield.

The reason for my post on here is to get your input and feedback, the platform will allow the following:

- Ability for pilots to request PPR at any time of day, on any device
- Pay for landing fees at point of PPR request
- View todays 'arrivals' of inbound aircraft
- View historic records by pilot name, aircraft registration and departure airfield
- Build your marketing database by sending pilot email addresses to Mailchimp (adhering to GDPR)
- Linked to from the airfield website for quick and easy access

What are your thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Would any airfield be willing to trial this system once completed early next year?

Look forward to hearing your replies. Visit our website to find out more and signup for news https://www.simpleppr.co.uk

Kind regards

Simple PPR
https://www.simpleppr.co.uk
Last edited by SimplePPR on Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By NickA
If PPR is not going away then this is a good idea. Airfield management need to see a benefit in not requiring PPR. At the moment I have no understanding of the perspective of these actors. It looks like it is UK exceptionalism but I don't think we have a clear idea of why. Are there aerodrome managers on here who can comment?
By GrahamB
NickA wrote:If PPR is not going away then this is a good idea.

I disagree; I don't want to have to visit yet another website to just fly my aeroplane somewhere.

If PPR really is a requirement, my preference is the phone where you can actually have a conversation with someone e.g.

'Last week you didn't have any UL91. Have you got some now?
'Is the cafe open today?'
'Anything I should know?'
'Do you have any numbers for taxi companies I could phone before I leave?'

The next least worst option is the airfield's website itself; at least there's a good chance I'm looking at it already.
JodelDavo, Cessna571 liked this
By marioair
SimplePPR wrote:Hi All,

New to this forum, I am developing a web based PPR request system for airfields, as a pilot myself I have found many airfields have different procedures for requesting PPR, some by phone, some by direct email, some by a web form that doesnt always work and some by their website and it works well.

My plan is to standardise PPR requests into one system that airfields can use for a small monthly fee or yearly fee, to streamline and improve PPR requests and potentially get more pilots flying into your airfield.

The reason for my post on here is to get your input and feedback, the platform will allow the following:

- Ability for pilots to request PPR at any time of day, on any device
- Pay for landing fees at point of PPR request
- View todays 'arrivals' of inbound aircraft
- View historic records by pilot name, aircraft registration and departure airfield
- Build your marketing database by sending pilot email addresses to Mailchimp (adhering to GDPR)

What are your thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? Would any airfield be willing to trial this system once completed early next year?

Look forward to hearing your replies. Visit our website to find out more and signup for news https://www.simpleppr.co.uk

Kind regards

Simple PPR
https://www.simpleppr.co.uk

I wonder whether under the hood it should be an extension/extraction of a FPL data plus additional info as required.

That way you could integrate with EFBs more easily.
I really really don’t understand why we need anything new

1) if the AD needs to know basic info, accept flight plans. Before you shoot me down - if we have to submit data let’s do it electronically. If we have to do it electronically let’s use a ICAO standard. If the AD needs more info than the standard, they should persecute the standard not the pilot. This should be a single click of button from an EFB Like Skydemon
2) if there’s static information specific for the AD, get an AIP entry (or make CAA make it easier for the AD to get an AIP entry).
3) if there’s dynamic info it MUST be transmitted on ATIS or first contact anyway. A phone briefing, NOTAM, or website is not current enough
4) anything else needs you to talk to a human anyway.
SimplePPR wrote:- View historic records by pilot name, aircraft registration and departure airfield

No.
Nick, Cubflyer liked this
vintage ATCO wrote:
SimplePPR wrote:- View historic records by pilot name, aircraft registration and departure airfield

No.

Why no? It’s a reasonable set of use cases (with appropriate GDPR handling)
SimplePPR liked this
vintage ATCO wrote:

No.

Agreed, too much of our lives, aviation or otherwise is stored by third parties.
Nick liked this
By skydriller
SimplePPR wrote:Pay for landing fees at point of PPR request

I seriously suggest you erase this idea from your unnecessary project. I have already commented on this idea at another aerodrome..

If you implement this, you will, eventually, one day, be responsible for someone dying while attempting to fly to such an aerodrome "because its paid already"...

:naughty:
Nick, Rob P, Stampe liked this
skydriller wrote:
SimplePPR wrote:Pay for landing fees at point of PPR request

I seriously suggest you erase this idea from your unnecessary project. I have already commented on this idea at another aerodrome..

If you implement this, you will, eventually, one day, be responsible for someone dying while attempting to fly to such an aerodrome "because its paid already"...

:naughty:

The pay when requesting PPR wasnt going to be mandatory, it is optional depending on the airfield rules/requirements.

Otherwise its a simple PPR request.
marioair wrote:
vintage ATCO wrote:

No.

Why no? It’s a reasonable set of use cases (with appropriate GDPR handling)

Thats what we think :)
By johnm
f you implement this, you will, eventually, one day, be responsible for someone dying while attempting to fly to such an aerodrome "because its paid already"...

Such a pilot would definitely be a candidate for the Darwin award :roll:

It can't be beyond the wit of man to get a refund or a credit or just write it off as a donation if it's a tenner or so. :roll:
SimplePPR liked this