Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
This PPR requirement originates from the wording of a CAA 'Ordinary' Aerodrome licence:

"The aerodrome is licensed for use only by the licence holder and by persons specifically authorised by him" (my bold)

In the usually quaint British way of making things more difficult for the sake of it, the PPR requirement has grown legs over the years. I would take "specifically authorised...." to be when you are given the runway in use over the RT.

For private strips, non-radio and where you are a first time visitor to an aerodrome, yes its very sensible to phone ahead and get some details. You need to know where the complainers live or how big the puddle is on the runway! But for licensed aerodromes with an AIP entry and NOTAMS???

It's only got worse in the 40 years I've been flying, and IMHO, for absolutely no other reason than to be difficult.. Why, oh why do some aerodromes need to know a pilots' name before he gets there? Big airport syndrome we used to call it...

We don't call ahead and tell the local restaurant we're bringing the kids over for lunch, or inform the Woolwich ferry we're about to arrive to cross the Thames, so why is it acceptable to do it for GA flying?

Limoges. International airport, terminal, restaurant. Just popped in as I flew past, no PPR and €5 to land.

If the CAA want to make GA flying in the UK great again, they've got a long way to go.
Rob P, Nick, rdfb and 2 others liked this
I'd visit more airfields, buy more cups of tea, uplift more fuel if I could just spontaneously decide to call in to an airfield after a radio call on the way past. I've only ever been denied access after PPR by phone on a very few occasions, where the airfield is closed for some reason. It would be really useful to understand what would happen at an airfield if PPR requirement was removed. Less time on the phone, more time on the radio. Anything else?
Nick liked this
JodelDavo wrote:This PPR requirement originates from the wording of a CAA 'Ordinary' Aerodrome licence:

"The aerodrome is licensed for use only by the licence holder and by persons specifically authorised by him" (my bold).

This has all changed. Article 207 states aerodromes are either national licensed aerodromes or Government aerodromes (obviously excluding private aerodromes, strips, etc.) Article 212 deals with Licensing of Aerodromes but the famous phrase specifically authorised by him is no longer there. Where an aerodrome is required for public use then the national license has a 'public use condition' attached to it (Article 214).

Some PPR 'requirements' are down to personal ego and (perceived) status.
Rob P, JodelDavo, Flyin'Dutch' and 3 others liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
JodelDavo wrote:If the CAA want to make GA flying in the UK great again, they've got a long way to go.

This issue not down to the CAA, though - it's down to the individual airfields.

After all, Gloucester - a significant airfield by any account - managed for years to operate without demanding PPR under a previous regime. No longer, sadly.
kanga, Cubflyer liked this
Dave W wrote:This issue not down to the CAA, though - it's down to the individual airfields.

I know, I used to work for them dealing with this very subject. But the CAA, if they put their minds to it, can influence, clarify and potentially remove or modify the ANO Articles that are/were the origin of the silly PPR rules that aerodromes have subsequently gold plated themselves.

Fenland seem to cope without PPR quite well, and it's always a pleasure to visit with just a radio call.. Why can't other aerodromes do that?
Dave W, vintage ATCO, Nick and 4 others liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bathman wrote:And why does Gloucester now require PPR? What changed after mp3 left?

I think you'll find it's a bit more to it than the operator simply requiring it.

Well, then what is it? If you know, as implied, it'd be good to spread the word. What changed after mp3 left?

Nobody so far as I can tell has ever properly answered the question - it's frequently asserted that "it's a legal/regulatory requirement" but when one looks at the relevant regs quoted they don't explicitly say that.

So what's the missing piece of info?

Since nobody ever properly explains (how can it possibly be a secret?) then it's no surprise if people wonder if it actually exists.
xtophe, Aerials, kanga and 1 others liked this
They downgraded their ATIS to a departure ATIS due to OFCOM charges .

In the eyes of the CAA controller workload has
now increased to unacceptable levels as any inbound aircraft no longer have airfield information so ATC have to pass that information onto them. So the CAA wouldn't allow the unit to continue to operate as it used to.

Thus to allow the airfield to continue to operate at similar traffic levels PPR was introduced. Thus airfield information is now known and doesn't have to be passed by ATC. This kept the CAA happy.

Bollox I know. But hey
Bathman wrote:Thus to allow the airfield to continue to operate at similar traffic levels PPR was introduced. Thus airfield information is now known and doesn't have to be passed by ATC. This kept the CAA happy.

Bollox I know. But hey

Bollox indeed. So PPR the previous day, or even 4 hours before, gives you all the information you need that would otherwise be given via ATIS? Such that ATC doesn't need to pass you any info on arrival? So there you are, 5 miles out, with the wrong QFE/QNH, positioning for the wrong runway, unaware that the runway is soaked and that viz is terrible to the north. And the CAA believe this?
Rob P, Ibra, mick w and 7 others liked this
JodelDavo wrote:Fenland seem to cope without PPR quite well, and it's always a pleasure to visit with just a radio call.. Why can't other aerodromes do that?

For CAA/AIP airports, I do recall Fenland was the ONLY ONE without PPR (& Biggin if on IFR FPL)
On unlicensed airports, I only know about Sandown/Pittsford (North Weald also accept by radio)

Everything else is pretty much PPR but I could be wrong…

While I dosee the value of PPR for private grass strips with very limited usage and dragons everywhere, I have not learned anything new when calling by phone to say Norwich, Blackbushes, Fairoaks, Elstree…but if people enjoy stupid rules or find justifications for them, you better enjoy them as well, here is why I like to PPR: I feel very important when I pick the phone and call someone to let them know I will be around, it feels like a pro and jeez its some VIP who is coming 8)
patowalker liked this
I was about to post about how Popham have a cunningly positioned webcam that shows the signal square and a sign with various options such as "No Fuel" "Airfield Closed" "Cafe Closed" "No Circuits" we also have large signs by the hold with the noise abatement on so dispensing with an Atis and PPR. You can also see a windsock.
However today there is a Hog Roast and...... :D
Cubflyer liked this