Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It seems that if you wanted this info then getting the Pooleys option in Skydemon will do the trick ???
By GrahamB
johnm wrote:It seems that if you wanted this info then getting the Pooleys option in Skydemon will do the trick ???

Not for me it don't. I have the Pooley's subscription, but try as I might I can't get those airfields displayed in the SD chart, although plenty of other small/microlight fields are shown.

@Iceman Are your SD charts fully up to date? I wondered if those fields are now closed and have been removed from the later versions at some point?
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:
russp wrote: ... isn't available for airfields that you flyby on route if you want to call them up (or just listen in).

I find the thought of listening in to Safetycom on the remote chance of hearing traffic on the particular muddy strip you are near to a wholly bizarre one. As for calling them up? What would you actually want to say?

Rob P

Situational awareness : Another tool in the safety box to complement SE2 (other forms of EC are available) and the Mk1 eyeball .

If I’m bimbling on a warm summer’ s day I leave Safelycom tuned on box 2.

Only works well if AN Other pilot uses it correctly though ; sadly there are those who don’t bother :(
By seanxair
My strip (Rolleston Park) is on Skydemon and when I sent the information I specified Safetycom. The only place that the frequency appears is on the AFE plate as far as I can see (I subscibe AFE so don't know re Pooleys). Seems to be the same with some of the larger strips locally which use Safetycom eg Abbots Bromley, Darley Moor. However those that use the microlight frequency appear to have that on the pop up on the Skydemon screen eg Otherton, Mitton, Shifnal

What I don't know or haven't noticed is what appears on screen in flight mode if nearby any of them.
By Charliesixtysix
russp wrote:
Iceman wrote:
russp wrote:
So in the absence of a quoted frequency, what frequency do you think a person should use ?

Iceman 8)

Well it’s likely either safetycom or the microlight frequency but I’d rather not have to guess which one when simply populating a field in a piece of software solves the issue and provides the frequencies required in the place they should be in the flight planning software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is highly likely that those strips are privately owned, so I'd give them a call to find out before going.

If en route, nobody would realistically be thinking of changing frequency at each private field they pass by surely - there are hundreds of them, a fair number of which are not even on the chart.
Rob P liked this
By Ibra
Iceman wrote:
russp wrote:Try Watchford Farm and East Chinnock ... or the flight I actually did from Finmere (700m tarmac runway with over 30 based aircraft) to East Kirkby (Museum Landing Strip) ... no frequencies anywhere to be found in Sky Demon.. but they do appear on Pooleys and on EasyVFR..

So in the absence of a quoted frequency, what frequency do you think a person should use ?

Iceman 8)

The one on their website or Pooleys? maybe SafetyCom? maybe gliding or microlights? or licensed AirToAir frequency with no AG? I usually get something while phoning for PPR, at least it makes that call worth something

If I am transiting nearby and no one gives me a radio check on their frequency while the air looks busy then something’s is wrong…
By Cub
Is it just me that finds this thread most peculiar? Safetycom is a common frequency for potential use at any location where another allocated frequency is not published. I simply don't understand why people would expect a common frequency to be published in association with a particular location. A remark against a strip entry saying something like, "visitors requested to make traffic calls on Safetycom" if a strip owner is desperate, might be an idea otherwise leaving the selection and best practice decision with the pilot would seem obvious.
johnm, Rob P, Iceman and 4 others liked this
By GrahamB
SkyDemon Towers can only populate data outside of the eAIP information they get electronically if they are told it.

It's up to strip owners to tell them what frequency is relevant to their sites; it would be wrong for SD to just assume and make stuff up.
By johnm
If visiting a strip like that I'd call for a brief first, if passing I'd expect to be sufficiently clear in height and distance for it not be a factor, for emergency landing all bets are off
Sooty25, Rob P, Ibra liked this
By Iceman
GrahamB wrote:@Iceman Are your SD charts fully up to date? I wondered if those fields are now closed and have been removed from the later versions at some point?

Quite the contrary @GrahamB, they are additional strips not in the default SkyDemon database that have been added as an add-on database. SkyDemon gives the user the ability to define new airfields and characteristics. Another forumite kindly supplied me with the add-on database.

In answering that question, I can see that the originator of the database has given them the SafetyCom frequency and not SkyDemon themselves.

Iceman 8)
GrahamB, Rob P liked this
By Ibra
johnm wrote:If visiting a strip like that I'd call for a brief first, if passing I'd expect to be sufficiently clear in height and distance for it not be a factor, for emergency landing all bets are off

Who does not do this for landing in small strips? I imagine everybody? if they do call, then what that call is about if it’s not getting the frequency, runway state and noise considerations?

Of course, I hate to PPR to places like Blackbushes or Fairoaks it’s a waste of precious time but I do it anyway :lol:

Some places are reluctant to put frequency or details on SkyDemon or Pooleys, to avoid getting invaded or draw unwanted attention to their “private strips” but that is a different story, I doubt there is another solution to get the frequency than when calling for permission…
By Rob P
johnm wrote: ... if passing I'd expect to be sufficiently clear in height and distance for it not be a factor

Quite so. Just how low do you have to be travelling at for anything you are likely to hear on Safetycom to contribute to 'enhancing your situational awareness'?

Rob P
By seanxair
I only nominated Safetycom for anyone who wished to visit, and quite a few have. I'm not expecting passing traffic to listen at what may be happening.

Nevertheless the fact that I use Safetycom is only available on the AFE plate and not the Skydemon plate which to me seems odd as I was asked on the form I was sent by Skydemon to give those details.

Radio
Type
SafetyCom

Callsign
Rolleston Park Traffic

Frequency