Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Hi all, I'm hoping to gain some knowledge or the gist of how to know wether it's a good day to fly or not...
I've only just passed my skills test (last Saturday and so don't have an official piece of paper yet) and one of the things that has dawned on me is that now I'm on my own, I can't rely on the person in the right seat to make judgment calls on whether it's safe to fly or not.
For instance, having checked the weather, metars and TAFs, would you go out for an hour or two's nav if it was overcast but otherwise benign? ( I know that most of the UK is like this 65% of the time...) I seem to be worried that the cloud level might drop and I'd be stuck. This might not happen in real life :D
And secondly, what are the particular conditions as a VFR pilot that might get you caught up in an icing scenario? I'd like to be able to learn the kind of situations that might lead to such so I can avoid it (flying a high wing Cessna doesn't offer an easy look at the wing).
So any hints, tips or rules of thumb appreciated.
Tim.
Your instructor(s) should have covered this. I recall once there as a low ceiling as we taxied out but thought "he's not said to go back, so it must be OK". We took off and there was cloud at 400ft so it was a low level circuit and back on the ground. He said "I was wondering when you would realise - it's your call!"
Supercat wrote:And secondly, what are the particular conditions as a VFR pilot that might get you caught up in an icing scenario?

Airframe icing (in the air) is rare in VFR. It requires freezing rain, which usually needs a layer of subzero air above a layer of above-zero air above a layer of subzero air in which you’re flying. Typically, that is found under the slope of a warm front in winter, and more commonly in continental climates.
johnm, Supercat, Ibra and 1 others liked this
Well you’re not on your own until you’ve got your licence and even then you can ask an instructor can’t you?
But weather decision making is a key part of learning to fly. This has to have been covered- presumably you’ve done your Met exam?
In practice you’ll find it helpful to give yourself some simple wx minima. Say 2000’ cloud base and 20k viz. crosswind component will depend on the aircraft to some extent, but 15 knots or less should do it.
Equal in importance is simply to do easy short flights to begin with so the weather won’t change much (but make sure as you gain experience you do expand your boundaries).
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Supercat wrote:I seem to be worried that the cloud level might drop and I'd be stuck. This might not happen in real life

It absolutely can happen in real life. It is very important to educate yourself as much as you can on the weather.
And secondly, what are the particular conditions as a VFR pilot that might get you caught up in an icing scenario?

How about you write a post, summarising what you already know on this topic first, so that we know what you're missing?
So any hints, tips or rules of thumb appreciated.

Push out your boundaries a little at time. Always have an exit option.
gaxor liked this
By Human Factor
johnm wrote:Never fly towards a front is a good rule of thumb.

Depends what you’re doing.

It could equally be said never to fly away from one (if it’s encroaching on your departure airfield and you’re planning to go back there, for example).

It’s a judgement call which comes with experience. While you’re right to suggest that flying towards a front is worth some potentially serious consideration, I would caution against saying never. Especially if you ever want to fly in the U.K. :wink:
A le Ron, Cessna571 liked this
johnm wrote:Never fly towards a front is a good rule of thumb.

…that is contrary to another rule of thumb ‘always set off towards the direction poorer weather is coming from, so you can turn round and come home if it gets too bad’

Which just goes to show that rules of thumb are not necessarily all that helpful. Better to have a good understanding of how met works.
johnm, Human Factor, Nick liked this
By johnm
Can’t argue with either @lobstaboy or @Human Factor the basic issue for VFR pilots is try to stay away from low cloud, storms and poor visibility so avoiding getting too close to fronts is a good idea, but that needs context as has been well pointed out.
By Human Factor
Supercat wrote:And the rest, well, you got to give your fingers some exercise.

You’re welcome. :wink:

As for icing, as has been mentioned already, airframe icing is not a major consideration for a VFR pilot. Again, never say never.

Carb ice however, I expect your instructor has gone into some detail about it. This is the kind of ice that will (hopefully not) catch you out. As you know, in the U.K. we live right in the middle of the optimum part of the graph.
https://www.astralaviationconsulting.co ... rces/icing

Bit of a short overview article on various types of icing there.

Well done for engaging in this thinking and discussion, just post PPL is a difficult place to be - you are becoming free from the reins of your FI but in the early stages of building your own judgement and experiences (some of which are those days where things don't go ideally to plan...). Whatever you do, always try to have a Plan B and don't be afraid to make that positive decision to reroute/divert/stay in a hotel etc.. good luck with enjoying your new PPL!
johnm, T6Harvard, Ibra and 1 others liked this