Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ibra
Boxkite wrote:Do they make the wings difficult to clean?

It’s for dirt (grass) stripping lovers :lol: they clean it once a year in April or when listing it for sale on AFORS :lol:
They rarely lose any performance with all the mud on wings & tails, so VGs won’t burn fuel :thumleft:
Makes me wonder why Cubs & Maules can’t be certified FIKI “as is”? :lol:
By Lockhaven
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:We had them on the Maule. Stall speed not greatly reduced but mahoosive improvement in roll control at approach and landing speeds as well as a major improvement in elevator authority with the engine at idle.

Worth every dollar cent we spent on it.

Microair was the supplier. Friendly people; exceptional value.

I see from the MicroAir website they are claiming a 16% reduction in stall speed for a Piper Cub, that is quite a reduction it true and will be a considerable benefit as my strip is only 250 meters.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think they quote something like 13% for the Maule so that went down from 38 to 33; a difference I, with my lack of skills never really noticed.

The improved roll authority and the much better elevator controllability were massive improvements. Made it a much better aeroplane.
Lockhaven, Iceman liked this
By Iceman
Miscellaneous wrote:@Iceman has your newly acquired STOL aeroplane run out of STOLiness already? :)

No harm in making a great machine even better :D. My best so far is in and out of Lundy 3-up in 200 metres. Tresco Heliport’s on the list but that’s a doddle at nearly 400 metres. Improving controllability at low IAS has to be beneficial for any short-field approach.

Iceman 8)
Lockhaven, Miscellaneous, Dave W and 1 others liked this
By Lockhaven
Iceman wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:@Iceman has your newly acquired STOL aeroplane run out of STOLiness already? :)

No harm in making a great machine even better :D. My best so far is in and out of Lundy 3-up in 200 metres. Tresco Heliport’s on the list but that’s a doddle at nearly 400 metres. Improving controllability at low IAS has to be beneficial for any short-field approach.

Iceman 8)

What aircraft type is that ?
By MichaelP
VGs can make an unsafe aeroplane safe.

The Ekolot JG05 has terrible stall characteristics with two of my acquaintance spinning in on the turn to final.
I was warned that stalling with the flaperons full down would result in a wing drop and a 2,200 foot loss of altitude so of course I went up and stalled it in this configuration. I lost only four hundred feet, but it was nasty...
Vortex Generators were experimented with starting from the wingtip.
A third of the leading edge was fitted at a time, the final third at the wing roots with the whole leading edge VG’d.
There was a massive improvement when the stall test was carried out after the wing tip span was done. It wasn’t the same aeroplane, hung there at the stall wings level as if to ask “what do you want me to do now?”

We’d done the same to an Allegro light sport aeroplane, this only needed the outboard VGs to make it also very safe and docile at the stall.

Tried VGs on a Mustang II, there was no improvement and at the same time there was a sense of danger!
VGs are not good for all airfoil sections.

I wouldn’t bother with VGs on an EuroFox or a Super Cub for that manner. The improvement is not enough to warrant the expense in my opinion.
If you want to win an Alaska competition then maybe.

I remember the Maule getting a bad rap in Britain for its stalling characteristics following an AAIB report into a crash in the 70’s. There is some merit in fitting VGs to a Maule.

In groundschool I saw an instructor gloss over the VGs shown on his slide projection, I wanted to step in and explain how they work...
By Iceman
Miscellaneous wrote:@Iceman, you really are getting in to strip flying. :thumright: :D

Variety is the spice of life. MEPing last weekend, TB20ing next, Mauling the following :thumright:.

The Maule certainly opens up the possibility of a few new and exciting places.

Iceman 8)
Flyin'Dutch', Miscellaneous, Nick and 1 others liked this
By Iceman
Fab pics @Miscellaneous :thumright:.

Perhaps there are some vortex generators for the TB20 as well ? Arrival at Plockton on that more recent weekend when you were otherwise engaged.

Edit : Spot the deliberate mistake in the video title :roll: !

Iceman 8)
By Miscellaneous
Nice video :thumright: I'm in the same geographical location at the moment re the same matter. :(

I did have a video of you departing Plockton in the Maule and searched in vain for you on WhatsApp to send it. Just had a look and don't seem to have it now. In fact that still is from the video.
By mick w
Iceman wrote:Fab pics @Miscellaneous :thumright:.

Perhaps there are some vortex generators for the TB20 as well ? Arrival at Plockton on that more recent weekend when you were otherwise engaged.

Edit : Spot the deliberate mistake in the video title :roll: !

Iceman 8)

02 ?
By Miscellaneous
Good spot @mick w, I missed the video title concentrating on the scenery and contemplating the missed opportunity of a visit to Plockton and lunch with @Iceman. Where did you eat this visit? :)