Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Lockhaven wrote:Has anyone fitted after market vortex generators to their aircraft like these.

https://store.cubcrafters.com/PA-18-Vor ... _1528.html

If yes, was there a significant improvement with the aircraft STOL performance, does is it require an STC or a modification request to the CAA or can you just self fit them.

Yes, I have them on the 182. The effect varies by type, the 182 isn't a great deal more STOL, but the low speed handling is significantly improved. STC required and available for many types, I bought from MicroAero who have FAA and EASA STCs.

Ian
Lockhaven liked this
By PA28
My Twin Comanche had them fitted when I bought it but we have just fitted them to another one. I flew it before and after. Lowered stall speed by approximately 7mph, improved roll control on approach and better feel on landing. Similar experience on a C177RG and C182.
Lockhaven liked this
By Lockhaven
G-BLEW wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:Has anyone fitted after market vortex generators to their aircraft like these.

https://store.cubcrafters.com/PA-18-Vor ... _1528.html

If yes, was there a significant improvement with the aircraft STOL performance, does is it require an STC or a modification request to the CAA or can you just self fit them.

Yes, I have them on the 182. The effect varies by type, the 182 isn't a great deal more STOL, but the low speed handling is significantly improved. STC required and available for many types, I bought from MicroAero who have FAA and EASA STCs.

Ian

The MicroAero kits are significantly cheaper than the Carbon Crafters kit for a PA-18 :thumleft:
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
They look the same as the ones I have on my Carbon Cub, but as I fitted them while building, I don't have a with/ without comparison. However they were easy to install and the low speed handling is very good.
They were from one of the aftermarket suppliers, but I can't remember which; maybe the one in Ian's link
Lockhaven liked this
By PA28
Boxkite wrote:Do they make the wings difficult to clean?

Yes but the benefits well outweigh this minor inconvenience.
There is no noticeable loss of cruise speed and the aeroplane feels so much better.
Lockhaven liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
We had them on the Maule. Stall speed not greatly reduced but mahoosive improvement in roll control at approach and landing speeds as well as a major improvement in elevator authority with the engine at idle.

Worth every dollar cent we spent on it.

Microair was the supplier. Friendly people; exceptional value.
PA28, Lockhaven, Ibra liked this
By Iceman
@Flyin'Dutch', what was the approximate cost for the Maule ? How easy were they to install ?

Iceman 8)
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Miscellaneous wrote:@Iceman has your newly acquired STOL aeroplane run out of STOLiness already? :)

I remember flying a diesel Maule from the factory - slowing nicely on final I found myself wondering who had just disconnected the ailerons.

VGs on a Maule re-connects them.

Ian
Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven, Iceman and 1 others liked this