Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Trent772
Fit and calibrate a decent AoA......

Vortex generates, Schmortex generators :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Or do both and fly backwards :pirat:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Trent772 wrote:Fit and calibrate a decent AoA......

They're doing different things aren't they?

Ian
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PA28
Vortex generators delay the onset of stall by keeping the airflow attached. They are often only placed on the outer sections of the wing to reduce the wing drop at the stall. Some aircraft benefit more than others. Cessna twins such as the C414 can be STCed to have a higher MTOW if vortex generators are fitted. I regularly fly a C182P with vortex generators and a C182Q without. The difference is night and day.
AoA indication allows you to fly an approach more accurately if you lack the feel of the aircraft and need warning when you are taking the **** with a really high AoA. Vans RV8s benefit greatly from some form of audio AoA system that beeps such as the Dynon system but it does require setting up accurately.
The Eurofighter Typhoon flies by sole ref to AoA rather than IAS.
Best to have both but I would rather have vortex generators if I could only have one.
By Trent772
G-BLEW wrote:
Trent772 wrote:Fit and calibrate a decent AoA......

They're doing different things aren't they?

Ian

They are and do, :pirat:

However AoA will show you what the wing is doing far more accurately - VG's will enable you to delay the onset of the stall, but AoA shows you when you will stall.

It would be an interesting compare and contrast for a magazine article.

We have AoA on the RV7 and it will consistently stall as the first 'red' disappears - whatever the speed. Speed indication when as slow as most claim, is difficult to measure because of potential instrument errors.

Just my tuppence worth :thumleft: