Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
terrybarr wrote:I often wonder why more helicopters don't have tailwheel undercarriages.

No skid type helicopters have tail wheels on the empennage. They have "stingers"

If not handled correctly, a helicopter can chop its own tail off (as it what happened here on landing). Look at the clean angle of the cut and also the rear photo showing the cut was made from left to right on the tip path plane. At the end of an autorotation you level the ship, but even then you could get a bad spot on touchdown and strike the tail.
Not sure that’s what happened…I think if the main blades had chopped the tail, at least one of them would also be damaged and they don’t appear to be. (Regrettably I have first hand experience). More likely, I think, is that he flared too much at the end of an (otherwise highly successful) autorotation and grounded the tail. Poor bloke only bought it three months ago….I remember it being at Staverton until recently.
WhirlyGreyGit wrote:Jetranger blades are substantial, not like Robbie ones, with the energy they probably had you wouldn't see the damage unless you could examine the blades a bit closer....

In Chickenhawk by Robert Mason*, Huey pilots in Vietnam would happily chop branches up to 2" diameter with the Huey blades if circumstances demanded.

*recommended on this forum some while ago, if I remember correctly. A good read.

IC
Steve J, RichJordan, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
I remember sitting in a Robbo one day while someone was doing a conversion on a Jetranger. The guy in the Jetranger was doing an auto and my instructor was shouting "Pick up the tail, pick up the effing tail!".
Given how often he shouted that at me I suspect that doing a survivable auto isn't all that difficult but doing one where the aircraft is useable again is a bit more difficult.
terrybarr wrote:I suspect that doing a survivable auto isn't all that difficult but doing one where the aircraft is useable again is a bit more difficult.

Expect it'll be useable again - just expensive to repair. Not that it'll be any consolation to the owner, but it's a useful example of a (more or less) successful autorotation for all those who continue to insist that if the engine stops you simply plummet fatally earthwards.
Having flown three helicopter types and an aeroplane all with Allison 250 engines, I’m really interested to hear what prevented this one from producing power? They are incredibly reliable engines.

Perhaps the owner might have a claim against others??

I don’t know, but I presume the engine failure in itself (should it require any repair?) would not normally be covered by insurance?