Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having embarked on a project that hadn’t had a Permit for some years that I wanted to upgrade the engine/propeller and undercarriage on, I dived in head first with the LAA paperwork back in May, as I also did with a similar project five years ago.

The system really is better than ever. A telephone filter person directs you to your allocated engineer, and out of around 15 calls in the last six months, they’ve all got straight through, and without the need to call at certain times of day.

Emails are also directed to the allocated engineer, and response time has been excellent.

After going through the whole process, answering various queries, sending back all the requested information at various points, I’ve today been granted a Permit to Fly, and I want to say that it’s been a process that has been very thorough, slick and efficient.

I cannot thank Jon Viner of the LAA enough for his input, comments, rapid response times, and commitment to getting it Permitted, and this is simply a public thank you to the LAA for continuing to get better and better.

:thumleft:
G-BLEW, Gordon Freeman, ChampChump and 23 others liked this
By russp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wow .. you must be the exception or it maybe that you have one of the old vintage aircraft that they are actually interested in. The experience I and others at my field have had is that email enquiries take months and numerous chase ups to get a response to :( My last one took two months and an email chase up .. the BMAA replied to the same enquiry (about fire extinguishers) within 24hrs. And that was better than previous ones.. and my two emails offering help with the UL91 provision project after a request for volunteers on their zoom calls have never been even acknowledged! They do seem to be a little better once you have a project in process but I still have to wonder why we need to post paper copies of permit applications (when the BMAA dont require it) and why we can only get permits done one month prior to renewal date when the BMAA allow two months.
tr7v8 liked this
My experience is that it depends on who you get allocated to your query as to whether it gets answered in good time, or at all. The good guys in that department are very good though, and basic permit renewals seem to be very efficiently turned around. It will be interesting to see if more consistency is achieved by the new guy who is coming in to lead the engineering team there.
russp liked this