Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dominie
Thanks to Vintage ATCO and Flying_john who have given me the answer. Given that 03R at Sywell is 30m wide, I am sure I was much more than 30m off the centreline, so I don't reckon I was in the wrong.

<break>

Miscellaneous wrote:
Dominie wrote:...enlighten me whether I was in the wrong?

I'm intrigued as to how you became convinced you are responsible for the go around? :?

I'm intrigued as to how you became convinced that I thought I was responsible? I reckon it was pretty clear that I THOUGHT that I MIGHT have been responsible - quite a difference! :P
Flying_john liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dominie wrote:I MIGHT have been responsible - quite a difference! :P

Only if you stop on the runway and pour yourself a cup of tea from your thermos.

If you're not taking an absolutely unconscionable time to vacate, and in reality, even if you are, it's entirely on the guy behind to sort his spacing out.

It's nice to think in advance if possible, about where to touch down to leave the runway as expeditiously as possible for the next guy. Yes, absolutely, if you land too fast, take an eon slowing down, and crawl at 0.001 mph to the far end before exiting, people will roll their eyes.

But you absolutely should not feel obliged to rush anything.

People need to learn to look at what's going on in front of them, figure out how to space themselves, develop the skill to fly at an appropriate speed to facilitate that, and go around when necessary without acting like a dick.

If you're on it, it's your runway.
By kanga
On my first visit to Ipswich of blessed memory :( , landing 'Westerly' (26 ?), under A/G (IIRC) but with non-radio allowed (there was a Signals Square :thumright: ), I was told by the AFI something like 'land to the right of the one ahead, turn off to the left edge when you're down to taxi speed, backtrack along the edge'. I think for t/o the procedure was to depart from near the RH edge. There seemed to be enough width for 4-5 aircraft, and I can recall 2-3 simultaneously but separatedly rolling on landing with 1-2 others taxiing back. Seemed to work OK, and I survived using it on my QXC. It was a few decades ago .. :wink: I don't know if it was then 'licensed'; it was before the Suckling scheduled services, but there was a FC.

Still routine at gliding fields, of course.
By PeteSpencer
The main runway (08/26) at Ipswich was so wide it was divided into left hand and right hand.

This was possibly as a result of Suckling chewing it up (the southern 'half' had poorer drainage so suffered most.) for several years before they went to Cambridge.

By 1992 one landed on whichever 'half' was in use for the day but single runway occupancy was the order of the day and one vacated to the 'north' -across the other half if it was not in use. The 'southern 'half was 'rested' more than the northern half as a result.

The smaller runway was only used in serious winds: I remember landing a PA38 when the gale was right down the chute almost at walking pace.............
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
kanga, G-JWTP liked this
By Joe Dell
kanga wrote:On my first visit to Ipswich of blessed memory :( , landing 'Westerly' (26 ?), under A/G (IIRC) but with non-radio allowed (there was a Signals Square :thumright: ), I was told by the AFI something like 'land to the right of the one ahead, turn off to the left edge when you're down to taxi speed, backtrack along the edge'. I think for t/o the procedure was to depart from near the RH edge. There seemed to be enough width for 4-5 aircraft, and I can recall 2-3 simultaneously but separatedly rolling on landing with 1-2 others taxiing back. Seemed to work OK, and I survived using it on my QXC. It was a few decades ago .. :wink: I don't know if it was then 'licensed'; it was before the Suckling scheduled services, but there was a FC..

That brought back memories. I did the same QXC. A couple of years later I got put in the hold at Ipswich when a trainee parachutist landed on a hovering helicopter. :(

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _11-87.pdf
Last edited by Joe Dell on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
While I was training there a parachutist (allegedly) killed himself by deliberately landing in the path of an HGV on the A14 (then known as A45) beside the airport.

Thread drift:

I had reason to be very grateful many years later to the parachute jumpmaster at Ipswich when we had just taken off fully fuelled in the Arrow for a trip to Le Touquet:

On climb out, the 'gear in transit /unsafe ' light remained on.Recycling had no effect.

(Turned out later that the hydraulic pump had burned out)
Using the emergency gear extend lever I only got 'two greens' - unsafe nose gear.

We did a tower fly-by who declared the NLG looked fine:

As we prepared to land the Jumpmaster who had been monitoring the radio came on and said that through his binocs, the NLG was trailing and looked unsafe:

So we mooched off over the river and slowed right down till the stall warner (and gear klaxon) were screaming at us and got the satisfying 'clunk' as the NLG spring overcame the air flow and locked the gear down : We landed safely with the fire truck in tow.

Needless to say, as well as a new hydraulic pump we replaced all the landing gear springs................

There's a moral there somewhere................................ :roll:
kanga, T6Harvard liked this
By kanga
Loco parentis wrote:.. The length and breadth of pedantry knows few limits !

a grammar pedant might prefer know after two subject nouns .. :wink: while (back to OP) some of us remember quite a few GA airfield* 'alighting areas' with undefined lengths and breadth of grass runways :) Oh, and routine at 'water aerodromes', of course

*Ipswich, Bicester, Middle Wallop, Cranwell North, South Cerney, Upavon, ..