Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
ak7274 wrote:Overshooting... That's a good one

When I was first at Farnborough, there was no such word; a Lightning doing circuits would simply say 'round again' just before touchdown and would light the afterburners and climb away VERY quickly. :D
NB: Lightnings NEVER did a 'roller' or a 'touch and go' 'cos the average number of touchdowns was about 6 due to tyre wear (they ran at 360 psi). :shock:
The bit of runway used for landing was well before the displaced threshold and in the early days was just 18m wide; we knew because when we went out to inspect the runway, we could see the tyremarks!
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bathman wrote:So. If I'm on final and an aircraft is taxing on the saftey strip after landing. Am I legal to land?

I was once billed for causing an obstruction within 10mts of the edge of a runway, causing it to be closed. :(
By TopCat
patowalker wrote:I was once billed for causing an obstruction within 10mts of the edge of a runway, causing it to be closed. :(

Can you elaborate?

What kind of obstruction would cause a runway to be closed?

Other than a parked aircraft perhaps? Did you park, leave the airfield, and come back to an apoplectic airfield manager? :D
By chevvron
patowalker wrote:
Bathman wrote:So. If I'm on final and an aircraft is taxing on the saftey strip after landing. Am I legal to land?

I was once billed for causing an obstruction within 10mts of the edge of a runway, causing it to be closed. :(

Was the runway licensed or unlicensed?
By patowalker
TopCat wrote:
patowalker wrote:I was once billed for causing an obstruction within 10mts of the edge of a runway, causing it to be closed. :(

Can you elaborate?

What kind of obstruction would cause a runway to be closed?

Other than a parked aircraft perhaps? Did you park, leave the airfield, and come back to an apoplectic airfield manager? :D

No, I caused the crash alarm to sound and a massive fire engine to attend, with one bloke on board, who put his head out the window, asked "Vous allez bien?" and promptly disappeared, to return in a 4L and take us to the terminal.
A member of the local Marine detachment suggested the wreckage could be removed by the SAR Dauphine. Fortunately, he was overruled and pressed into manhandling it onto a trailer with his colleagues.

After a telephone interview by the DGAC and some paperwork, we were driven to the railway station, where we arrived too late to buy a ticket for the train pulling in. Our volunteer driver explained this to the guard, who welcomed us onboard and never came by to collect the fare. At Calais, I approached him on the platform and offered to pay. He responded with a Gallic shrug and waved us on.

If you have to have a runway excursion, I can recommend France. :D
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob L

If you see an aircraft taxying within the safety strip of an active licenced runway governed by UK CAA regulation, I would suggest not. Do you positively know that the aircraft taxying is outside of that strip? Do you know what that airfields safety strip is?

My belief is that "safety" is the operable word here.

The "safety strip" is there to provide no obstructions at an angle both lengthwise & widthwise on a UK CAA-licenced runway. CAP168 from about page 92 refers, and the top of page 94 is relevant to this thread, I believe. Despite lots of numbers, that CAP is reasonably sensible.

The intention is that there be no obstacle (within reason) to an aircraft operating from that runway hitting something if it goes to a ball of chalk.
By Rob L
patowalker wrote:If you have to have a runway excursion, I can recommend France. :D

Also, if you have incurred an airspace infringement or disturbed an airshow by Patrouille de France by getting the darn frequency wrong and busted their NOTAMed airspace and then landed with open welcoming arms [Gallic shrug], I can also recommend France :D

(Long time ago...during the 1999 eclipse)
T6Harvard liked this
By MichaelP
Years ago I was asked to do the ground radio at Lens in Northern France for a fly in by CSFC from Higgin Bill.

Many were confused by receiving the airfield information in English.
Pilots prime their minds to expect Franglais, Thaiglish, Nihonglish, and Chinglish among other languages.
We often get confused when we receive information we’re not expecting.

But the point of this was:

“Golf bravo india india bravo that was a nice landing, but that is the taxyway!”

In France some of the grass runways were tres wide, and so the wide taxyway could easily be confused as a piste by narrow minded pilots.
By Rob P
MichaelP wrote:In France some of the grass runways were tres wide, and so the wide taxyway could easily be confused as a piste by narrow minded pilots.

The Shiny Colt landed on a taxiway at Abbeville. I was on the RH seat, I'll spare the pilot's blushes, though I didn't spot the error.

I managed to land between the hard and grass runways at Kemble. :oops:

Rob P
By kanga
For one of the PPs at JAM, MP3 had arranged for a large area of grass to be very closely mown between the museum and 09/27, to enable aircraft parking. Taxiway R had effectively disappeared apart from the R1 Holding Point marker. Several aircraft taxied past it on the wrong side on departure :)
By Rob L
kanga almost wrote:For one of the Project Propeller events at Gloucester Jet Age Museum, ....{/snip})

Fixed that for you, Kanga. For 30 seconds of effort, you'd save everyone 30 minutes of searching (you're as bad as Steve C)
kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Boxkite wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:....................There's a moral there somewhere................................ :roll:

Never trust the people in the tower?

Binoculars trump the Mk 1 eyeball..................................... :lol:
By PeteSpencer
Coupla years ago at a farewell fly-in to RAF Henlow , my approach revealed a wide open parched yellow grass airfield with nary a runway number or edge marking in sight.

I just followed the bloke in front of me in: To this day I've no idea what I landed on.

On departure I followed the bloke in front too........................
patowalker, kanga liked this