Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Volare
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With E10 now becoming the norm and E5 becoming harder to get hold of, a bunch of us at our farm strip are looking to get Drums of UL91. The thought is, that we each keep our own Drum in our own individual 'T' hangars. It will cost a bit more than E5 but at least it's aviation quality fuel. There aren't enough of us to warrant the expense of installing a bulk storage tank or bowser at the moment but that remains our aspiration.

Is anyone on here using UL91 from Drums?
What is the legislation and what additional insurance (if any) do you have?
Do the local fire brigade need to be informed?
Do any local authorities have to be informed?

Any help or advice for doing this would be much appreciated.
By JodelDavo
There's probably a defined quantity you can keep in a drum. I would contact the Petroleum Inspector at the local Fire Brigade or/or Council for the up to date regs.
By Miscellaneous
I think that's a red herring, Frank. It appears to relate to the US. Or maybe it's only for N reg in the UK? :wink:
Can I dispense petrol into the tank of my vehicle, boat or airplane at my home, club or my association?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Sooty25
Miscellaneous wrote:I think that's a red herring, Frank. It appears to relate to the US. Or maybe it's only for N reg in the UK? :wink:
Can I dispense petrol into the tank of my vehicle, boat or airplane at my home, club or my association?

It is the correct regs, such a shame about the americanism. :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Sooty25
@Volare it is a bit of a minefield.
To store in a drum, you need a licence.
Your strip will probably be classed as a single location, so over 275ltrs between you, you'll need a licence.
We were told we needed to store fuel in a separate, metal shed.
But, nobody asks to see your licence when a pallet is delivered (so I'm told!).
By Paul_Sengupta
If you are storing up to 275 litres of petrol at any of these premises then you should be aware of the common storage requirements for these amounts, which are as follows:

petrol is not dispensed (ie it is not pumped either manually or electrically from a storage tank) at your storage place

How on earth do you get it out then?
By malcolmfrost
You take the drum somewhere else then dispense it, which makes sense if you cock it up and end up with fuel everywhere on the floor and loads more in drums! Would you really refuel inside a hangar?
By Red
Have 2 placards for your bowser, one saying "storage facility" the second "Filling Station"
Its nonsense
By PeteSpencer
Our hangar insurance specifically prohibits the storage of avgas and refuelling the aeroplane in the hangar.

Good job it doesn’t mention the tractor diesel …… :wink:
By Sooty25
Paul_Sengupta wrote:If you are storing up to 275 litres of petrol at any of these premises then you should be aware of the common storage requirements for these amounts, which are as follows:

petrol is not dispensed (ie it is not pumped either manually or electrically from a storage tank) at your storage place

If you don't have a licence, then it needs to be stored in 20ltr Jerry Cans.

If you have a licence to store a drum, the licence will also cover method of transfer.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Volare
Thank yo all for your comments.

I have now got the contact details for the Petroleum Enforcement Officer that covers our area, so I should find out pretty soon what we can and can't do.

I was thinking syphon or Drum tap!!
By avtur3
As UL91 is a recognised/certified 'aviation fuel' then I think you'll find that if it is stored for more than 6 months it will go out of certification and a sample would need to be be taken and recertified in order for it to be used as 'UL91'
Flyin'Dutch' liked this