Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TLRippon wrote:Well I hope you don’t get a “Fly at 2000’” clearance, how would you cope?

Well funnily enough, I got a "cleared to cross controlled airspace at 3000'" the other day, via the Odiham overhead.

I coped fine thanks.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
MichaelP wrote:Two of us took off from Popham to fly back to Kent.
I was in the second aeroplane that took off a good ten minutes later than the first one.
Not having a transponder, and not into being a nuisance we flew below the Farnborough airspace to the Hogs Back and on our way to the east.
‘Was surprised to hear the other aeroplane call up ten minutes behind as we were on final. Why?

The other pilot had made the mistake of calling Farnborough in the past to be reamed out for not having a transponder and told he shouldn’t be there despite being outside of Farnborough’s airspace.
So from then on, he routed around the airspace to be well south of the Gatwick zone on his return to Kent.

The class E immediately North of Goodwood is a TMZ.

Looking up documents online, that should only be in several brackets with floors of 4500ft or above. However, what's shown on the present chart is distinctly ambiguous about that and you could put all sorts of interpretation on the actual chart symbology if that is your primary source.

Of course controllers should have the fullest possible information, and this should be compatible with what pilots have - but as yesterday I flew through exactly that airspace on an IFR flight plan Farnborough couldn't find, via an IFR waypoint on their patch that Farnborough had no knowledge of, I think that the controllers themselves are not necessarily at fault if the whole system there is not working.

G