Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Shoestring Flyer wrote:For some reason and I just don't know why Heli pilots don't appreciate or maybe have a lack of awareness of the problems they can cause for fixed wing with their propwash.

I was left rather bemused at overhearing a military pilot tell another pilot how much of an unknown it is and how they have to be careful of yachts when flying low. This was after he had flown his Merlin along the runway at Plockton with 15 light aircraft parked on the grass adjacent to the runway. On a previous arrival and departure he had stayed well clear.

I was left with the feeling that the arrival was intended as some fun to see us scamper to hold wings. In the event, beyond a flexwing's wing being blown around and various items being strewn around the area, there was no actual damage done. But then the pilot did not have hindsight until after the event.

It seemed like an unnecessary gamble. The only 'legit' reason I could consider was him being heavy with fuel. Would that be a factor?
Nick, Shoestring Flyer liked this
By MattL
Merlin is a big cab with a lot of power required and hence downwash, the routing will have been influenced by wind on the day.

I would be utterly amazed if any military pilot would play around with downwash - due to the very nature of the support helicopter role being safely in and out of busy/confined spaces is absolute second nature and drilled from day one.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I seem to remember the wind conditions, when the above incident to which Misc mentions took place, were very similar to the previous day. The same Merlin had flown directly across the runway avoiding all the parked aircraft.

Nick
Miscellaneous liked this
By Nick
I seem to remember the wind conditions, when the above incident to which Misc mentions took place, were very similar to the previous day. The same Merlin had flown directly across the runway avoiding all the parked aircraft.

Nick
Shoestring Flyer

For some reason and I just don't know why Heli pilots don't appreciate or maybe have a lack of awareness of the problems they can cause

Downwash, jet wash, prop wash are all problems which can be exacerbated by lack of forethought.

On a number of occasions recently I have been 'rocked about' whilst stationary on the ground by a too close for comfort helicopter!

Have you never been ‘rocked about’ by an aeroplane?

‘Wash’ is not a problem unique to helicopters. Though I accept relative sizes can exacerbate the effect. I’ve genuinely lost count of the number of times at my home airfield I’ve witnessed a piston single running it’s engine, then taxiing away, with it’s prop wash flooding the open hangar very close behind. The pilot being either oblivious or uncaring of the carnage they are creating indoors!

Whenever it happens, chances are it’s probably just poor airmanship, unless there’s some greater benefit perhaps unknown to the witnesses??
mick w liked this
By Hooligan
seanxair wrote:Here is a minor example]

Not if you were busy in there at the time... :D

A couple of decades back when the t'Internet was still in nappies, someone sent me a video of a port-a-potty being knocked over by a wayward hot air balloon...
seanxair liked this
By Iceman
I remember being stood by the side of a Harvard at Deanland with the Harvard’s engine just at tickover. A microlight pilot, not appreciating the danger, taxied right behind the Harvard, and was promptly blown onto its far wingtip, damaging the wing and tip in the process. The microlight pilot then wanted to fly the damaged aircraft home :shock:.

Iceman 8)