Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
BoeingBoy wrote:Thanks Trent. I spoke to Paul and he has three suitable wings :D ........ all left hand! :(

Which leads me to muse "does he have 3x LH wings because the RH ones have been crunched/failed inspection and used already or is it because it is usually LH wings that get crunched/fail inspection and so they are stocked up...", oh, and of course "why would that be"...

Questions, questions... :wink:
skydriller wrote:.. or is it because it is usually LH wings that get crunched/fail inspection and so they are stocked up...", oh, and of course "why would that be"...

ISTR from my first airline job (teenager, school holidays, hangar dogsbody, '60s), in a pre-CRM era where WW2 generation Captains hogged the landings and despised young copilots with new CPLs, talking to a WW2 maintenance gaffer. He told me that LH tyres, and ultimately LH u/c legs, were worn out and sometimes failed first because the Captain in LH seat had LH on stick/yoke, RH on engine lever(s), and always unconsciously pulled slightly down (ie, on LH aileron) as well as back (on elevator) in the flare, so LH wheels hit the runway first :) I suppose same might be true of the LH wing spars in a GA type.