Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes, it was black that was best, but I believe yellow flashes were added look at the training fleet!! Something to do with being an un-natural colour against the ground?

Sooty25 wrote:depends whether you are above it or below it.

I dont think that was discovered to be the case at all.

Im sure someone more authoritative will be along in a mo...
nallen wrote:It was like that when he bought it …

I don't think anyone was criticising the owner/pilot pictured, just the colour of the aeroplane.

Rob P
Sooty25 liked this
TopCat wrote:
TrickyWoo wrote:
TopCat wrote:It's certainly a remarkable choice of aircraft to buy into, before one even has a PPL

One makes some fun life choices, some sensible strategic decisions and others somewhere in the middle. One also never cares about what anyone thinks of one’s decisions.

Did you quote this so selectively because of some imagined negative opinion on my part?

If so I assure you it's an inference and not an implication.

Ah . Mea culpa. Decision on mk26 made now - allies in ordure :-)
By TopCat
TrickyWoo wrote:
TopCat wrote:
TrickyWoo wrote:
One makes some fun life choices, some sensible strategic decisions and others somewhere in the middle. One also never cares about what anyone thinks of one’s decisions.

Did you quote this so selectively because of some imagined negative opinion on my part?

If so I assure you it's an inference and not an implication.

Ah . Mea culpa. Decision on mk26 made now - allies in ordure :-)

No worries :)

You going to get it then? It'll certainly be a hell of an aeroplane to turn up to fly ins in :)
By Ben Twings
Rob L wrote:Whomsoever chose that scheme is an ars. (It's illegal too, but that's of a lesser issue).

The person who chose that scheme was the builder; a Warthog pilot at a Florida airbase whose day job involved flying one of these:

Last edited by Ben Twings on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick w, nallen, MikeB liked this
Ben Twings wrote:
Rob L wrote:Whomsoever chose that scheme is an ars. (It's illegal too, but that's of a lesser issue).

The person who chose that scheme was the builder; a Warthog pilot at a Florida airbase whose day job involved flying one of these:

But it's a G-reg civilian General Aviation (GA) aircraft in the United Kingdom, not a US Military aircraft or even a replica or even military-registered (or even N-registered) or even twin-engined or even a jet-powered aircraft. What an ars.

By Genghis the Engineer
I've had to spec a few paint schemes professionally and accessed those studies.

Against sky, pure black is preferable for visibility, matt or gloss makes little difference.

Against ground, white is best. Also white upper surface reflects sunlight, keeping the aeroplane cool, and reducing the air conditioning energy consumption.

For all purposes, some contrast has value.

Hence why the majority of airliners have very dark undersides, and white uppers - with the divide in the middle so that from the side there's a contrast. For example...

Camouflage on the ground depends upon the surface - but green made perfect sense when most parking was on grass, sandy pink in the gulf, etc.

For stealth, you want a colour *temperature* as close as possible to the background - the actual colour matters much less. Hence the grey most RAF aircraft are presently painted.

G