Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Red
....and if this grouse moor wasnt 'managed' in 10 years there would be small trees and a huge variety of wildlife Far more impressive than whats allowed by the knobs who cut and burn to perpetuate their crass vision of country life
By Charliesixtysix
PeteSpencer wrote:We get flocks of rooks on our strip this time of year:

Even if I taxy towards/ through them with a/c lit up like a Christmas tree, they fly off for a bit then re-land just as I'm lining up.

Solution seems to be two stages of flap and 200HP max rate climb giving them space to duck out the side: Seems to have worked so far.

Rest of the year there's no problem..................

They.re after Leatherjackets in late summer ( crane fly lavae).
PeteSpencer, condor17 liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Red wrote:....and if this grouse moor wasnt 'managed' in 10 years there would be small trees and a huge variety of wildlife Far more impressive than whats allowed by the knobs who cut and burn to perpetuate their crass vision of country life

No there wouldnt.
You do realise that even alot of UK national parks (especially so, actually) are highly managed, dont you? More than 99% of the "UK countryside" which so many people think is so pretty is managed by someone and looks the way it does because of this. The majority of what many consider now to be areas of outstanding natural beauty, were actually man-made hundreds of years ago and most of our woodland and forest was deliberately planted too. Probably the best example of this is "The New Forest National Park" which was actually a military strategic materials store.

Regards, SD..
tr7v8 liked this
By johnm
It is true that there's barely a square inch of the UK that isn't managed to some degree or other. The effect of that management is now being understood, especially its unlooked for side effects, and much focus is now on mitigating those side effects and rightly so.

We own 10 acres of what is dubbed "ancient woodland" it's absolute nonsense, because although we have some ancient trees, a big chunk was felled 80 years ago to grow larch for pit props (waste of time) another big chunk has been sweet chestnut coppice since forever.

The larch is coming to the end of its life and being allowed to fall where safe and felled where not and we're planting native species to take the place back to its roots. (sorry :oops: ) :D
condor17 liked this
By skydriller
johnm wrote:The larch is coming to the end of its life and being allowed to fall where safe and felled where not and we're planting native species to take the place back to its roots.

The main point, which you obviously understand, but many dont, is that you are actively managing this woodland. I note you say you are planting native trees. If you didnt do this the land wouldnt "just naturally grow native species" as was suggested by @Red above. And anyway, what is a "native species"? How far back do you go?

Regards, SD..
johnm liked this
By johnm
How far back do you go?

Very good point, in our case roughly the early 18th century as best we can assess :-)
By Miscellaneous
Sir Morley Steven wrote:The RSPB is hugely anti aviation

I would argue their involvement is contradictory to that position and is in fact empirical evidence of just how wildlife 'friendly' airfields are. :D
RSPB wrote:The disused old concrete strip and taxi ways, along with the surrounding coastal grassland, has since become a "haven" for ground-nesting wading birds, according to RSPB Scotland.

CloudHound wrote:Tain Ranges are a bird and wildlife luxury hotel. :lol:

Indeed, seeing is believing. Seemingly undisturbed by Typhoon aeros, or GR4 attacks. :D

GrahamB wrote:An airfield is probably not quite as good for birds as virgin, unspoilt habitat.

Yes and no, Graham. The biggest challenge faced by wildlife is us pesky humans. The advantage airfields have over unspoilt habitat, is they are not freely frequented by humans. :wink: Close the airfield and us humans with our dogs will be all over it. :wink:
johnm liked this
By Red
skydriller wrote:
Red wrote:....and if this grouse moor wasnt 'managed' in 10 years there would be small trees and a huge variety of wildlife Far more impressive than whats allowed by the knobs who cut and burn to perpetuate their crass vision of country life

No there wouldnt.
You do realise that even alot of UK national parks (especially so, actually) are highly managed, dont you? More than 99% of the "UK countryside" which so many people think is so pretty is managed by someone and looks the way it does because of this. The majority of what many consider now to be areas of outstanding natural beauty, were actually man-made hundreds of years ago and most of our woodland and forest was deliberately planted too. Probably the best example of this is "The New Forest National Park" which was actually a military strategic materials store.

Regards, SD..

Umm yea I know all that, Im struggling to understand why you think my post implies otherwise.
Is it that you think this man managed countryside is actually preferable to leaving it un man managed? and also assume I share that opinion?, because I certainly dont.
By Bill McCarthy
I’m in the process of ploughing up about 8 acres of land I had set aside for ground nesting birds - Lapwing, Corncrake and Curlew. Why ? - because RSPB and Scotland Natural Heritage has allowed the proliferation of the Buzzard, and Crows mainly. That area had become silent because those ground nesting species have been wiped by those raptors. I have witnessed it first hand but the RSPB and SNH won’t hear of it and refuse to admit the damage being done.
johnm liked this
By johnm
@Bill McCarthy I sympathise there is an area near us that was set aside for the same purpose, but we've never seen one. At the same time we have close to a plague of magpies as well as some crows and buzzards and we're beginning to see kites. I'm not sure where they might find enough carrion to keep them all going.....