Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SteveX
It is purely the radio element I was referring to. Nothing on the ops/management side. The radio aspect does not need anyone on the ground to become involved. I like the way Waltham only speak when its about taking off or landing, and they are FISO. A call down wind is met with silence, just as it should be. Other places I hear all sorts of clutter from the ground operator 'nothing known to affect' (well that's my lookout) and 'backtrack at your discretion' (err yes I'll do what I want having ascertained where others are). My point being anyone in the air can tell others approaching 'we are using runway X', anything beyond FISO at the most busy places I get. Having someone sat in a so called 'tower' giving out the impression they are controlling things is just plain unnecessary.

It's a culture thing, we (pilots) should be talking to each other eg. XX go ahead and take off if you wish Im still base leg. Not have someone in a ground position involved.

Well obviously Sywell the other week comes under the busy category.
By Nick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have already complemented the LAA Rally team. They did a first class job. Perhaps some of the FISO's and ATC jobs could be downgraded to AGCS. Just a suggestion!

Nick