Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Seems like no change of CAA policy is intended on their rule 11 interpretation regarding “infringements” of class G uncontrolled ATZs.

AG operator may effectively deny “clearance” to enter by using the magic word “standby.”

“Information” must be obtained directly from the AG operator and not by listening out.

Position and height to be notified when entering and leaving the zone. (Often not possible on a busy frequency, e.g. a fly in.)

Take your chances with other traffic orbiting outside the zone if “permission” not forthcoming. (Or e.g. unmanned radio, rest break etc) or go back whence you came.

Etc.etc.

https://airspacesafety.com/hot-spot-narratives/
By Rjk983
flybymike wrote:Seems like no change of CAA policy is intended on their rule 11 interpretation regarding “infringements” of class G uncontrolled ATZs.

AG operator may effectively deny “clearance” to enter by using the magic word “standby.”

“Information” must be obtained directly from the AG operator and not by listening out.

Position and height to be notified when entering and leaving the zone. (Often not possible on a busy frequency, e.g. a fly in.)

Take your chances with other traffic orbiting outside the zone if “permission” not forthcoming. (Or e.g. unmanned radio, rest break etc) or go back whence you came.

Etc.etc.

https://airspacesafety.com/hot-spot-narratives/

Given that Syerston is host to fairly intensive gliding. With Winch launches up to 1300 above the ATZ limit and given that there is about 4 miles clear either side of it, why on earth would you be so desperate to fly through the ATZ that you wouldn’t wait to get confirmation the the circuit is clear and there are no lethal cables obstructing your route?
chevvron, gaznav liked this
By Iceman
flybymike wrote:Position and height to be notified when entering and leaving the zone. (Often not possible on a busy frequency, e.g. a fly in.)

Do all of those resident gliders do that ?

Iceman 8)
flybymike liked this
By flybymike
Rjk983 wrote:Given that Syerston is host to fairly intensive gliding. With Winch launches up to 1300 above the ATZ limit and given that there is about 4 miles clear either side of it, why on earth would you be so desperate to fly through the ATZ that you wouldn’t wait to get confirmation the the circuit is clear and there are no lethal cables obstructing your route?

There no reason at all why you to be desperate to charge through Syerston’s ATZ without checking it’s safe to do so, but then my post was a comment on the CAA interpretation of rule 11 and nothing else.
By flybymike
Iceman wrote:
flybymike wrote:Position and height to be notified when entering and leaving the zone. (Often not possible on a busy frequency, e.g. a fly in.)

Do all of those resident gliders do that ?

Iceman 8)

Does anyone anywhere?
By gasman
Rjk983 wrote:
Given that Syerston is host to fairly intensive gliding.

I regularly fly close to Syerston : it seems very quiet.
Do you have any evidence to support your statement?
Last edited by gasman on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogopper liked this
By Flying_john
Shirley , you notify them of your intentions to satisfy the rules on second radio exchange in most cases, but I understand this airfield may be a special case with winch launches etc.
i.e:-
Anywhere radio G-ABCD
G-ABCD pass your message
G-ABCD is a C150 at 2000 feet , 1022Hectopascals, 5 miles east and will be passing through your overhead (insert your choice here) at 2000 feet in 3 minutes.

They do not know what you want on 1st call so no reason to say standby unless their ATZ is so busy anyway that you would not want to pass through for safety. After your second transmission you have informed them of your intentions.

Having said that most uncontrolled ATZs are only 2nm, so quite easy to avoid (assuming they are on the chart).
lutonwho liked this
By James Chan
That’s what it says:

… as winch launching activity extends to 3,300 feet and there is a risk of a cable strike...
By pullup
Irv Lee wrote:
Rjk983 wrote:With Winch launches up to 1300 above the ATZ limit....

Sure about that?

There are three runways at Syerston. One is barely 3500 long allowing for glider launch point positioning. Another just on 4000ft with the same limitations. Clearly a launch height of 3300 ft is not possible when these runways are in use.

Only the longest runway would allow such a launch, but conditions would have to be right.

Many gliding sites vastly exaggerate their winch launching capabilities which are only possible in strong wind conditions and if they are into wind.

However, I do fully agree with the requirement to keep clear.
By Rjk983
Irv Lee wrote:
Rjk983 wrote:With Winch launches up to 1300 above the ATZ limit....

Sure about that?

Well the document states 2000’ATZ and winch launches to 3300’.

I suppose it could be a 2000 ft height ATZ as opposed to altitude. Or it could be a 3300 altitude as opposed to height. Either way, thar be steel cables so I would be calling and getting confirmation before I went in the ATZ or above it but below the 3300’ height/altitude.

Having flown 90% of my hours out of Newton (sadly now closed) I would be avoiding Syerston regardless. But everyone is free to make their own choices.