Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Kemble Pitts wrote:I already had a CAA Portal account (from claiming the EC 50% grant earlier this year).

Last night I added the stuff required for my medical and it went through without a hitch, CAA £8 fee paid and I've booked with my AME.

Just saying...

Same here,

Just cant get AME to come up with a date: I understand he's rushed off his feet due to multiple AME drop-outs and is prioritising Class 1.
By Irv Lee
email from my AME today:
Cellma, Covid, Brexit, and changes at the CAA have increased the time taken to complete a medical and the associated admin burden. Our costs have also increased. Fees will be updated on the website and will change from 1st January 2022.
I can vouch for the extra time taken to arrange my latest Class II.
Previously, a one minute telephone call to my AME secretary to book appointment, no £8 fee. On arrival 2 minutes to fill in my personal details ( Most already pre filled on the form from my last visit) Have medical, including a pleasant chat about Cirrus Jets!!

This time, first find another AME, mine had stopped CAA Medicals because of the time taken and hassle of Cellma.

Log onto the CAA website, and after a laborious hour, upload and send off Passport and address documents (Which the CAA should already have on file from my SkyEcho subsidy.)

After a few days an E Mail from the CAA saying welcome to Cellma you are cleared to Log on for a Medical.
On accessing the the site I find I am only cleared to obtain an ATOL licence, which is a Travel Agent function nothing to do with my PPL. And please send my ID documents again!
After three attempts, and 7 E Mails and screen shots of my I pad over a week or so, the CAA managed to update Cellma, and I can now access my medical records. Although the website is still allowing me to become a Travel Agent!

For the record the CAA lady I spoke to initially was unfailingly helpful and polite, even after a 20 minute hold to get connected.
For balance, I’m already registered for e-licensing and access to Cellma took 2 clicks and a 12 hour wait.

I think it’s the initial ID verification and setup for whatever service you require that’s an absolute abortion.
Whoever wrote the software for the CAA needs the biggest kick up the **** that is imaginable :x

Cellma is bad enough and waiting for the documents (Class 1 certificate etc) to be uploaded is just such an unnecessary phaff that I can see no logic behind the whole thing. Anything that takes a week between the medical itself and being 'live' on Cellma is not efficient.

What really made me angry was the eLicensing system, which is SO illogical as to be almost unusable. It has not been written by anybody whose first language is English ("Your order have been processed").

Why on earth would I click on an 'i' (several times) as the logical step to allow me to renew a rating? What is 're-instating' a rating (being an FCL program is should only refer to 'renew' or 'revalidate')? Why do I have to register AGAIN, this time for eExams, in order for my rating renewal to be uploaded? I don't want to take exams, I want to renew a rating. Why do I get a message that talks about my cart being empty and an 'exception' causing that? (a)I'm not shopping on Amazon, so don't wan to hear about any sort of shopping cart and (b)telling me there's an 'exception' in the program, with no explanation of why is absolutely useless (it was a phone call to the CAA and the bloke telling me I needed to register for eExams that got rid of the 'exception'). I asked why there is no user's guide to the system. Oh, apparently there is one under 'Candidate Information'. I explained that I am not a candidate for their exams, so why on earth would I look in there and why not just call it a 'user's guide' under its own heading. "Yes, I see what you mean" :roll: = we're not listening and have no intention of changing anything.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get my licence back. In theory it should be hours, because everything has green ticks against it, so there shouldn't be any snags. However, this is the CAA, so I just know that their new system is going to take longer than the old way of doing things. The ONLY thing that has been achieved by their electronic submission is they've managed to take their money sooner than they would have previously.

Seriously incredibly under impressed :x
Trent772, A le Ron liked this
@PaulSS

I don’t want to depress you further, however after holding a UK ATPL for the last 20+ years I had to SOLI to Malta because of work. Five months ago I applied for a UK FCL licence they took the money almost instantly 300+ pounds but I am still waiting for the licence.
That's disgusting and someone should be accountable for such a disgraceful lack of service. Unfortunately there are too many self-serving, ineffectual staff in the CAA (particularly at the head of the organisation) and they are only too happy to do nothing but still get paid. It doesn't affect them one iota if you get your licence or lose your job because you don't have a licence but it should.

Mine is a licence renewal and, obviously, the replacement of 'EASA' with 'CAA' on the title page. Class 1: tick. LPC: tick. Unnecessary identity confirmation and copy of the licence they issued: tick. PBN declaration: tick. It should be in the post tomorrow morning because I have used their 'streamlined' online service. I wonder how many angry phone calls it will actually take?
By johnm
Much of the context is off limits because it involves politics, but that's not really an excuse for poor management and systems though. Sophie talks a good talk but the follow through is yet to be seen, sadly and Hillier just has chronic verbal diarrhoea.
Lockhaven wrote:@PaulSS

I don’t want to depress you further, however after holding a UK ATPL for the last 20+ years I had to SOLI to Malta because of work. Five months ago I applied for a UK FCL licence they took the money almost instantly 300+ pounds but I am still waiting for the licence.

So, how far throught the CAA complaints procedure are you?