Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Suppose by a combination of weather and examiner availability , despite opening negotiations on 2nd August, my SEP 2 year validity expires on 30th September (this week), I'll then have to renew by test:

Question is, can I fly to examiner base for test after that date in the same way as I can drive my MOT expired car to a garage for a test, or have I got to drag an examiner halfway across E Anglia to our airstrip?

I suspect I know the answer just need confirmation by FF instructor.

The situation has never occurred before in 28 years : I am usually anal about dates, but this situation has unexpectedly cropped up.

And of course if Wx perks up by Thursday there is no situation.
TIA

Peter

Edit: Biennial, schmiennial oh gawd: You'd think I 'd know by now.... :oops:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pure curiosity. Is there a reason for not using a local guy?

I used Joff from Old Buckenham who was happy to turn up at Tibenham as, like you, we are not really welcomed at OB these days.

Rob P
By Lefty
Sorry - but No.

You cannot (legally) fly solo (or otherwise act as PIC) if your SEP has expired.

You could get either an instructor - or even a PPL friend to fly you there - they would have be legal to be PIC in that category of aircraft - and covered by your insurance. An instructor would automatically be covered (under almost all insurance policies) but your PPL friend might need to be added to your insurance.
By riverrock
Do you just need the paperwork signed (so have flown with an instructor for an hour in the last year)? As said - any examiner can do the paperwork, as can many FIs if they were the one who flew with you.

However - as you say - after that date you'll need the test and you wouldn't be able to fly yourself there.
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:Pure curiosity. Is there a reason for not using a local guy?

I used Joff from Old Buckenham who was happy to turn up at Tibenham as, like you, we are not really welcomed at OB these days.

Rob P

Just exploring options:

Yes: My IR/IRR/ Examiner is able to do the lot in one long hit every year but it may not work out this year if Wx doesn't play ball.

May have to separate the Biennial off however and use local chap:
Main deal is wx between now and Thursday.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
Lefty wrote:Sorry - but No.

You cannot (legally) fly solo (or otherwise act as PIC) if your SEP has expired.

You could get either an instructor - or even a PPL friend to fly you there - they would have be legal to be PIC in that category of aircraft - and covered by your insurance. An instructor would automatically be covered (under almost all insurance policies) but your PPL friend might need to be added to your insurance.

Yep I figured that would be the case.

Working on options..............
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
If you just need an hour with an instructor, a CRI can do that as well. And until Thursday you can fly somewhere to a CRI, do your hour there and fly back, weather permitting. Of course, weather not permitting, an hour of low level circuit practice would fit the bill!
By PeteSpencer
Cookie, Adam, everybody: Thank you all for your kind suggestions and offers of help.

As it happened my 'knight in shining armour' in the form of one of the Knettishall E Hangar resident pilots is also an FI and by 6 pm this evening my hour's flight with an instructor was done and all the forms signed.

Just gotta pray for half decent weather on Thursday for the iR Reval now but the 'pressure is off' as my IR was 'covid-extended' till November last year Which now forms my new renewal date.

So all's good.
Thanks again Colin........ :wink:
johnm, Rob P, Paul_Sengupta and 1 others liked this