Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
AlanM wrote:I am not sure “only” is appropriate when someone is reported to have serious injuries.

Serious injuries were not reported at the time I posted.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
CloudHound wrote:From Aviation Safety Network
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/268051
AA-5 G-BBSA

That website has nothing at all to do with aviation safety...they just publish news about crashes; nothing about safety.

Almost ten years ago they published wholly inaccurate information about a mid-air collision in which a very good friend of mine died.
I took them to task about the cr@p that they published.
The crashed AA-5 aircraft at Teeside was issued a fresh Certificate of Airworthiness very recently, new ARC expiry date being 20-9-2022.

A couple of days after an "annual" and freshly issued ARC our O-320 choked itself into silence on its own collapsed air intake duct causing a rich-cut and total power loss.
Blatantly poor Part 145 workmanship was the cause, and only my lucky pounce on the carb heat restored the power and saved us from a forced landing soon after take off.

And nothing ever came of the MOR I filed either.

This latest crash brings back some really vivid and angry memories.
I guess we just got lucky.
eltonioni liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob L wrote:
CloudHound wrote:From Aviation Safety Network
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/268051
AA-5 G-BBSA

Almost ten years ago they published wholly inaccurate information about a mid-air collision in which a very good friend of mine died.
I took them to task about the cr@p that they published.

That site holds user generated content - there is an edit button at the bottom. If something is wrong, correct it yourself rather than complain.
T67M liked this
On a slightly related note, I really don't like the fact that whenever there is an accident in our midst, it immediately becomes some sort of breaking news with a live update feed in whatever regional newspaper/website covers that area.

Of course, I suppose this is human nature and journalists would decree that this is the very definition of 'newsworthy', but I can't help feeling very sympathetic whenever someone's name gets splashed about on SurreyLive (or wherever) if they suffer the misfortune to have an engine failure or some other event that ends up putting them in a field.

I'd imagine being involved in an accident must be traumatic and stressful enough for anyone, let alone then having everything broadcast very publicly and your details (from G-INFO?) splashed about on social media.
scd975, Charliesixtysix liked this
By GrahamB
flyingeeza wrote:The crashed AA-5 aircraft at Teeside was issued a fresh Certificate of Airworthiness very recently, new ARC expiry date being 20-9-2022.

Pedantry perhaps, but a Certificate of Airworthiness on an AA5 does not expire, and that has been the case for some years. Secondly, an ARC being issued has no real bearing on the quality, or otherwise, of the actual work done on the aircraft - at best, it's a review of the documentation and a survey of the aircraft. An ARC renewal may be conducted completely out of phase with an annual inspection, and when carried out would not necessarily detect that e.g. something that should have been replaced at 'x' hours actually was, only that the paperwork says that it was.

I believe you are right though, in that I hear that major work had been carried out on the aircraft only a few hours before the incident, which does naturally raise the suspicion of maintenance related failure.
AlanM, Iceman, flyingeeza liked this
By riverrock
flyingearly wrote:I'd imagine being involved in an accident must be traumatic and stressful enough for anyone, let alone then having everything broadcast very publicly and your details (from G-INFO?) splashed about on social media.

Details are normally published by police to media once all next of kin are informed, often in consultation with next of kin. They aren't grabbed from G-INFO.