Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Different standard checks.

Greater knowledge of maintenance and aircraft ownership / management required in microlights

Understanding of 2-stroke engines is required of microlight pilots

Low level navigation is more predominant in the microlight syllabus, but the use of PLOGs is not with no use of the whizz-wheel in the microlight nav syllabus.

Microlight steep turns are to 60° not 45° of bank

Knowledge of air law as it pertains to permits to fly

And clearly, understanding of low inertia / high drag aeroplanes. The pilot you check out in an EV97 might then go and buy an X'Air.

Converting the other way, I've found microlight pilots much more intuitively "stick and rudder" and much less procedural - they need to learn how to fly procedurally, make active use of the PLOG, that sort of thing.

Those would be the main differences that automatically come to my mind.

G
lobstaboy liked this
By patowalker
Those still confused about where differences training is required may wish to support their argument with this. :)

https://www.bmaa.org/news/bmaa-news/600kg-consultation

All new issued NPPL Microlight Class Ratings to be valid for Microlights meeting the new definition.

To fly a two seat Microlight landplane with a MTOM in excess of 472.5Kg undertake differences training with an instructor qualified to conduct flight instruction in such an aircraft.

· Differences training to be at the discretion of the instructor and may comprise of a ground briefing without flight training, or a ground briefing with flight training. The differences training to be signed off as completed in the pilot’s licence.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP ... sponse.pdf

3.17 Adopting the microlight category would allow microlight pilots [mainly NPPL(M) holders] to fly and credit their time in the larger aircraft, subject to differences training. An ANO amendment would also allow UK non-microlight pilots [UK NPPL(A)s and PPL(A)s] to credit their time in microlights. The differences training would address safe handling such as if the aircraft is larger than the pilot is used to; or if they are accustomed to flying larger aircraft.

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP ... 202021.pdf

Microlight Class Rating revisions
5.5 Further to the existing Microlight Class Rating requirements, holders are required to undertake differences training when moving between the different microlight aeroplane control systems (three-axis or weight-shift controls) or for more thanone engine. The difference training is required due to the different handling characteristics of aeroplanes and the safety risks arising from these differences.

5.6 Our view is that similar handling considerations are present when progressing to larger microlight aeroplanes. In revising the legal requirements for differences training for the Microlight Class Rating, we have sought to acknowledge the pilot’s previous experience and have included a requirement around the pilot’s training and experience in handling the different weight ranges ‘moving in both directions’ to determine whether differences training is necessary.

5.7 Therefore, microlight rating holders who have no experience flying aircraft above the existing weight limit should be required to undertake differences training. The converse also applies: those seeking to fly 600/650kg microlights who only have experience of flying larger aeroplanes will similarly need differences training.

5.8 Similarly, increasing the weight limit for microlights also increases the likelihood of exposure to a range of ‘non-standard’ aeroplane configurations, such as tailwheel, Electronic Flight Information Systems (EFIS: ‘glass cockpits’), autopilots, electric engines, variable pitch propeller or maximum continuous cruising speed in excess of 140 knots will require appropriate familiarisation or differences training. So, we have introduced those additional configurations as new differences training experience criteria.
The real question is there a need for this?

It was introduced in cica 1999 and I would assume based on some safety case. Has its impact ever been audited?

I’m very sceptical as it’s never been mandated for TMG’s.

It has certainly caused me hassle. Despite having hundreds of hours of tailwheel time on SEP’s I had a devil of a job finding someone who could sign me off for tailwheel on an MEP - and they didn’t have charge.

I thought we were heading for less regulation not more.
DavidC wrote:
An SEP FI can currently teach Microlights anyway, no need to have differences training. Quite a few do

I was quite surprised to read this statement although I could quite believe it to be true.

The microlight syllabus (practical and theory) differs significantly from the LAPL/PPL.

Could someone point to the regulations that permit Part-FCL SEP rating holders to fly microlights and FIs to instruct in them without any formal differences training. I presume the microlight class rating refers only to the NPPL(M) because I have not heard of such as thing available directly on a Part FCL licence.

I seem to have caused some confusion here by my poor use of language. My apologies.
Differences training is required to fly Microlights. However an SEP FI once they have that differences training (which might be as little as an hour or two with a sign off) can then instruct on a microlight a student studying for the NPPL (M) without any requirement for that instructor to have any training or guidance in the differences between the microlight syllabus and what they have previously taught.
Genghis has listed the key differences. They are important and students of Microlights sadly can come unstuck when they get to their GST.
By patowalker
lobstaboy wrote:Thank you @patowalker
So they do mean it and it isn't poor drafting.
We can indeed live with it, but as pointed out above, there was no mention of this from the BMAA in all the enthusiasm for 600kg. That annoys me a lot.

In my view, the BMAA has been clear on this from the begining. It would have been impossible to get CAA approval for the new category without addressing the safety aspect, and differences training does that.

As you can see from the link above, in 2019 the BMAA wrote:
Microlight Class Ratings issued pre-implementation

To fly a two seat Microlight landplane with a MTOM in excess of 472.5Kg undertake differences training with an instructor qualified to conduct flight instruction in such an aircraft.

· Differences training to be at the discretion of the instructor and may comprise of a ground briefing without flight training, or a ground briefing with flight training. The differences training to be signed off as completed in the pilot’s licence.

There were earlier references to differences training, but I can't be bothered to search for them, because as far as I am concerned the BMAA and LAA have done a damn good job on this.
ak7274, kanga, Nick liked this
@patowalker yes, differences training to move up to 600kg was referred to and I have no problem with that.
The annoying thing is the new requirements to have differences training for other variables (EFIS or constant speed props for example) which apply across the weight range.
This is annoying because
1. It wasn't declared before hand and
2. It will cause real difficulties when folk try to find instructors qualified to give the necessary difference training.
Mz Hedy liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
russp wrote:Currently in the UK (unlike most of the rest of the world) the only way to get a new 600Kg permit aircraft is to home build it (because apparently someone decided that it's safer than allowing factory built aircraft that don't have a CoA) .. the new 600Kg microlight category will enable us to buy those aircraft factory built.

If we're talking about a convergence of standards, would the LAA administer these 600kg factory built microlights as well? Does this mean we effectively have a 600kg LSA category which can be kept on an LAA permit?

Will there be any convergence in licensing allowing flight in one of these to count for commercial purposes?
patowalker wrote:No variable pitch prop training for me, my 450kg microlight had that. Hand cranked too. :D

Indeed. And it's a very nice aeroplane (I have flown it).
The point is that NOW if you built G-PATO you would need differences training before you could fly it, even though it is a 450kg aeroplane.
(But you won't need to do it again, no).

(And I've just realised that because I've flown it, I don't need variable pitch prop differences training either. Result!)
patowalker liked this
By russp
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
russp wrote:Currently in the UK (unlike most of the rest of the world) the only way to get a new 600Kg permit aircraft is to home build it (because apparently someone decided that it's safer than allowing factory built aircraft that don't have a CoA) .. the new 600Kg microlight category will enable us to buy those aircraft factory built.

If we're talking about a convergence of standards, would the LAA administer these 600kg factory built microlights as well? Does this mean we effectively have a 600kg LSA category which can be kept on an LAA permit?

Will there be any convergence in licensing allowing flight in one of these to count for commercial purposes?

Just as the LAA currently administer some current microlights (Rans S6 as an example) I'm sure they will administer some of the 600Kg microlights too .. and likely the exact same aircraft as a light aircraft too if it's homebuilt! I'd guess the homebuilder will have the option as to whether to register his aircraft as a microlight or a light aircraft. Who knows about the commercial hours allowance thing - that's a question for the CAA I guess.
By russp
What is a bit odd though is that if you're flying a a new factory built microlight on a NPPL(M) you'll need differences training for an EFIS but if you're flying the same new but home built aircraft on a NPPL(SSEA) you don't !! ... although if on a LAPL or full PPL you would.. go figure.. I wonder if hey'll catch up with that eventually?
HedgeSparrow wrote:While I was learning microlights I had a 20 minute trial lesson in a C152 (duly logged and endorsed as PUT). Does that mean I am not required to get an instructor to sign me off to fly a vanilla 600kg microlight?

No, you'd need to have a licence/rating for heavier aeroplanes.
See para 4.3 of the draft BMAA Guidance that Cookie linked to right near the start of the thread.