Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ThePipster
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Evening all,

This is a bit of a plea to ask all of us to be a bit nicer to all of the other people we encounter in GA.

1. ATC, FISOs and A/G operators do not set out make life difficult for pilots.

2. Fire crew and refuelling staff generally work hard and are happy to accept lower pay than they could earn outside of aviation because they love aviation.

3. Security staff are human just like the rest of us.

4. CAA staff are also human, disagreeing with the regulatory process or decisions is entirely acceptable just as long it doesn’t become personal.

In a few weeks time I will celebrate 33 years as a member of the wonderful world of General Aviation, I hope for as many years ahead.

Be nice, play nice, enjoy!

Pipster
AlanM, tr7v8, Ibra and 9 others liked this
By tr7v8
A lot of the day job is dealing with public sector, some of its good but a lot is full of jobsworths that drag the rest down.
I trained as a civil servant and later did 11 months on contract with them as a contractor. I was glad to get out.
NDB_hold liked this
ThePipster wrote:I am not excusing the failings of the organisation but I feel that we need to treat individuals as fellow humans...

But what is an organisation other than the summation of the efforts, decisions and attitudes of all the individuals that make it up or influence it from outside? We made it and continue to make it. It doesn't have an existence of its own.
Being nice to people is right - they are fellow human beings as you say - but in our dealings with them it's perfectly right to insistently point out to them where they are failing to serve us well.
I've had it with sweeping stuff under the carpet.
Stampe, tr7v8, Flyingfemme liked this
The CAA are just like any other government organisation.

Ever tried dealing with lower levels in the NHS, Local Councils etc.? They are all appalling.

My usual comparison, using the NHS, is to say that from anaesthetists and Surgeons up they are capable and efficient.

Below that they are slow, inefficient and below average.

Same applies to the CAA. Unfortunately most of the time we usually have to deal with their lower grades.
tr7v8 liked this
By TheFarmer
I agree.

It’s important to have respect for everyone, however they are involved in GA.

Except for Cirrus pilots, people who call Finals, people who insist on High Viz Vests, anyone with a nose wheel, people who draw smiley faces in the sky and then screen shot their FR24 trace*, brokers who double the price of tatty old aircraft, aircraft spotters, the miserable git on the radio at Shobdon, Met Office numpties who are more than often than not totally wrong, all the Ruperts moving from Chiswick to ‘the sticks’ who moan about us, and last but not least…Cirrus pilots.

* unless it’s a willy or boobs, don’t bother.

8)
skydriller, Charles Hunt, Rob P and 5 others liked this
By johnm
In my (long) experience lower orders in an organisation respond to leadership. Very few folk go to work looking to do a bad job. It follows that if service and performance is poor you need to look to the top of the hierarchy not the bottom.

You will encounter people who are naturally "jobsworths", they are frustrating, but mostly I feel sorry for them in (to quote Tom Lehrer) "Their drab wretched lives".

Politeness costs nothing and generally evokes a positive response.
Milty, tr7v8, TopCat and 1 others liked this
TheFarmer wrote:I agree.

It’s important to have respect for everyone, however they are involved in GA.

Except for Cirrus pilots, people who call Finals, people who insist on High Viz Vests, anyone with a nose wheel, people who draw smiley faces in the sky and then screen shot their FR24 trace*, brokers who double the price of tatty old aircraft, aircraft spotters, the miserable git on the radio at Shobdon, Met Office numpties who are more than often than not totally wrong, all the Ruperts moving from Chiswick to ‘the sticks’ who moan about us, and last but not least…Cirrus pilots.

* unless it’s a willy or boobs, don’t bother.

8)

Don’t forget Clarkson.