Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By A4 Pacific
You’re obviously aware single piston helicopters are allowed to fly over central London. Though ‘free navigation’ might be frowned upon. The exact routing of this aircraft will likely be the deciding factor on whether they’re invited for a ‘chat’?

Maybe they could be pursued by Chinook?? :lol:

That reg seems to be out of date. The a/c was re-registered in July to a Dartford property company.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
By marioair
A4 Pacific wrote:You’re obviously aware single piston helicopters are allowed to fly over central London. Though ‘free navigation’ might be frowned upon. The exact routing of this aircraft will likely be the deciding factor on whether they’re invited for a ‘chat’?

Maybe they could be pursued by Chinook?? :lol:

That reg seems to be out of date. The a/c was re-registered in July to a Dartford property company.

I wasn't aware a Beech A23 was a helicopter.

I was in South London (where I live) and spoted a SEP in the area which in itself I'd class is not land clear. Couldnt grab the reg, but FR24 showed the above aircraft so assume it's the same SEP. Tsk Tsk Tsk
By Ibra
There is nothing illegal about it, see SERA for legal minimal VFR altitudes (the only way to enforce “land clear rule” is to have a restricted area, but for now EGR160 only applies to single engine helicopters except on published routes and reporting points), but the “old land clear rule” may come back when ANO starts to get edited independently from SERA, it’s called (UK) SERA now…

However, it’s reckless and if you crash, you will surely get the reckless clause of ANO but you have to crash first to get that tested in courts…

Anyone who thinks they can glide to good landing sites around from 1400ft when passing overhead Vauxhall Bridge has probably never flown twins and just guessing they can fit a single in Hyde Pk? or flew there in singles but it was 100kts winds at 2kft p ? or flew it in high perfoamce gliders? :lol:
Last edited by Ibra on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Hooligan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dear old G-AIDL, the Rapide that used to do pleasure flights from Biggin Hill, is currently over that part of London, presumably conducting a joy ride out of Duxford. Can I assume both aircraft should be talking to London City?
By A4 Pacific
I apologise. I always thought the Thames ran through central London. Having flown the heli lanes many times, (particularly H3 and H4, though never in single pistons) I now see I must have been mistaken.

If we must split hairs, I have also flown helicopters over central London, not on the heli lanes. As have many others.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Go canvass 100 ordinary people - see how many of them take "can fly over Central London" to mean "only over the river".

Heck, canvass 5.

A4 Pacific wrote:If we must split hairs, I have also flown helicopters over central London, not on the heli lanes. As have many others.

Single engine? Because that is the point after all - it's not 'splitting hairs'!
By Ibra
Yes it’s was SEP(A/Land) and not a SEP(H) :lol: ? or SEP(S) or SEP(B) or SEP(G) or SEP(A/Sea)

“A” as in Aeroplanes not Airships :lol:

PS: the restriction on helis to follow the water in EGR160 also applies to single engine turbines rotary?