Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Maybe...
However just imagine it..
If all pilot 'Home workers' started doing what the OP proposes to do there will be no tables for the rest of us dropping into an airfield cafe for a snack and occupying a table say for 45minutes will there?
I just think it is unacceptable unless of course a cafe chooses to lay a 'free office ' on as an additional service.
Last edited by Shoestring Flyer on Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Shoestring Flyer wrote:If all pilot 'Home workers' started doing what the OP proposes to do there will be no tables for the rest of us dropping into an airfield cafe for a snack and occupying a table say for 45minutes will there?

I think this is a little bit of a 'slippery slope' fallacy.

The number of pilot home workers for whom it's practical to take enough of the day off to get to the airfield, preflight the aircraft, fly it somewhere, and then do the same thing in reverse is probably quite small.

To say nothing of the costs of doing it regularly.

Good luck to them - I'm sure the airfield cafes will sort things out if they start getting armies of laptop-wielding office escapees taking up space and not buying anything.

FWIW, when I fly to maintenance for the 50-hour, or something else that can be done quickly enough for me to there-and-back in a day, I take the laptop and camp out in the corner of the Shoreham cafe for a few hours. I'm lucky if I get about 3 hours work done in total, and having one screen instead of three makes a massive dent in my productivity to say nothing of the distractions around, especially at lunchtime. It wouldn't be even remotely realistic to do it often.
StratoTramp, Ben K liked this
By Milty
Gloucester might have a couple of options. There’s a decent pub on the edge of the airfield. Call Cotswold Aero club - they might be friendly and accommodating and have a lounge but no idea if they have any rules on non-members. Staverton flying school have a nice new building and might be accommodating for a small fee.
kanga liked this
By Cookie
Give Duxford a try. From the museum, nip across the road out of the staff entrance to the Officers Mess. It’s been turned into a rather nice office block - There’s a decent (reasonably priced) cafe and workstations there.

Cookie
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
tr7v8 wrote:Rochester has a cafe with wifi & power, decent food as well. Current hours are 09:00-15:00 It is pretty quiet aside from the hordes of builders coming in & out. Generally they aren't too noisy though. I managed to revise for my last exam there.

What’s the food like? Haven’t been for ages - last time it was very much a greasy spoon.
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
NDB_hold wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:Rochester has a cafe with wifi & power, decent food as well. Current hours are 09:00-15:00 It is pretty quiet aside from the hordes of builders coming in & out. Generally they aren't too noisy though. I managed to revise for my last exam there.

What’s the food like? Haven’t been for ages - last time it was very much a greasy spoon.

Yup greasy spoon but good quality, hence popular with the builders. Apparently they get quite a few in from the Medway Innovation Centre across the way (5 mins) walk. As their cafe only does cold food, paninis or wraps. Not sure if that is open to the general public. But another option is to walk to Asda which is big one and has a cafe. Or a stones throw the other way is a Holiday Inn or a few minutes further is a KFC. All within 10 mins walk of the airport. I think that in the parade of shops opposite the Tiger Moth pub there is a cafe as well.
By Lefty
One request
If you are working from a flying club cafe / restaurant, please don’t be selfish - and consider the other customers in that establishment.

In an establishment that I have been known to frequent, There are a small number of people who have begun working from the cafe on a daily basis, however one or two of them have started to occupy a 6-8 place table for a full day and spread their laptops, iPads and books over half the table. They don’t seem to recognise that it is (IMHO) rather selfish to deny 6-8 customers the opportunity to sit together. I’m not even sure that all of these people are club members. I’ve certainly never seen them fly, or even ever get involved in any discussion with any of the flyers. The just arrive at 0830 and occupy the table until 1630 or so.
Ben K, Wide-Body liked this