Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Cub wrote:Perhaps we could turn the debate on its head? How can you be ‘controlled’ within the ATZ inside Class G. Your contracted obligations under U.K. FIS when operating inside an ATZ in Class G are exactly the same as outside of the ATZ.

ICAO allow Aerdromes surface/circuit/departure/arrival in Golf to be controlled without controlled airspace, you do receive Air Traffic Control Service

SERA also allow traffic to be controlled in “Aerdromes vicinity” in Golf without controlled airspace

Nothing UK specific really, say France, both StCyr and Toussus are in Golf and are controlled in ground, circuit and approach/arrival (also Lognes, Chavenay but they have RMZ), Toussus is even IFR and their ATC controls the SID/STAR that goes as far as 50nm away including the bits in Golf but outside these and CAS you just receive information

I am not sure about mechanism in UK ANO? my impression it’s ATC ATZ but I could be wrong…

There is a line to be drawn somewhere between receiving FIS away from aerodrome and receiving ATC in short final or circuit, there is no exact definition, if it’s not the ATZ boundary then what it is? maybe it’s 30nm away at IAF for IFR? but my bet for VFR unless there is an exception it’s ATZ (Redhill & Biggin has an exception from ANO as their ATC controls VFR on few VRP outside their ATZ)

I recall once flying ILS at Exeter when unknown traffic pop-up just as I started the descent, ATC passed info rather than requesting go-around, I just acknowledged, so maybe it’s the case of YMMV? they can’t clear you to land though without empty runway but you have to be in ATZ to get that…
Last edited by Ibra on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Ibra wrote:but there is not much of a hurry in singles

There is if you're about to flare into a deer.

They are rarely taller than 50ft :wink:

Bellow 50ft with a deer in front you may have to consider cutting your loss as well: cut power and consolidate with insurance rather than adding power, it won’t fly with one attached in front or on the wings, one friend DA42 is written off after hitting one 2 months ago, I flew that aircraft one week earlier :roll: the instructor did not even had time to process or believe it…

https://www.bea.aero/les-enquetes/evene ... joigny-89/

There is a wisdom somewhere that says when s**t happens bellow 50ft, you cut power and land ahead rather than going full power and pulling on stick (applies equally in singles, twins, cirrus chutes, helicopters, gliders, jets), some would even say you need 200ft if it’s something unexpected and really bad (bird strike, engine cut, deer, obstacles in imc/vmc…), a pilot making an unstable approach or traffic on runway is expected though, you see it coming way before just matter of making your call…
There is a wisdom somewhere that says when s**t happens bellow 50ft, you cut power and land ahead rather than going full power and pulling on stick (applies equally in singles, twins, cirrus chutes, helicopters, gliders, jets), some would even say you need 200ft if it’s something unexpected and really bad (bird strike, engine cut, deer, obstacles in imc/vmc…), a pilot making an unstable approach or traffic on runway is expected though, you see it coming way before just matter of making your call…

I hadn’t specifically heard that before, however the AAIB report in another thread regarding a Sea King/Cessna fatal certainly suggests that would have produced a better result there. I’ve also seen a video on YouTube of a mishandled GA finishing up in the side of a hangar!

Instant ‘unexpected’ decisions/actions often result in sub-optimal outcomes in humans.
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Ibra wrote:Bellow 50ft with a deer in front you may have to consider cutting your loss as well: cut power and consolidate with insurance rather than adding power

:shock:

I'm guessing you don't fly from a farm strip with forestry down one side and good grazing land on the airfield! :D

True sadly not much farm stripping these days or gliding field land out, besides, my local airports just put wires and gates with digicodes

I know you should expected salted lamb in some places but I have yet to see 20ft tall giraffe doing a crossing in Wales, knowing what to expect helps to deal with the shock moment :shock:
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
lobstaboy wrote:I thought the idea was that you were always expecting a go-around, and that successfully completing the landing was considered a lucky outcome?

I thought a go-around in a typical light single was a perfectly simple and straightforward manoeuvre.

Why is there this undertone (not from you particularly @lobstaboy ) that it's fraught with danger?
lobstaboy liked this
By GrahamB
TopCat wrote:Why is there this undertone (not from you particularly @lobstaboy ) that it's fraught with danger?

It’s like lot of things in flying TC, if you are in practice, conditions are benign and you are prepared for it then a low-level go-around should be a straightforward manoeuvre.

However, in IMC it’s the phase of an instrument approach where botching something up exposes you to the greatest amount of danger - you are undergoing a complete change of aircraft attitude and power setting, reconfiguring flaps and possibly undercarriage close to but out of sight of the ground while maintaining centre line.

You’d be surprised how many people I see only apply partial power when doing a go-around in VMC.
PeteSpencer liked this
By TopCat
GrahamB wrote:
TopCat wrote:Why is there this undertone (not from you particularly @lobstaboy ) that it's fraught with danger?

It’s like lot of things in flying TC, if you are in practice, conditions are benign and you are prepared for it then a low-level go-around should be a straightforward manoeuvre.

However, in IMC it’s the phase of an instrument approach where botching something up exposes you to the greatest amount of danger - you are undergoing a complete change of aircraft attitude and power setting, reconfiguring flaps and possibly undercarriage close to but out of sight of the ground while maintaining centre line.

Fair enough, in IMC I get that.

But not in VMC in a simple aircraft. For a student just learning and developing finesse, control has to be learned - of course - but for someone who's been flying a while, in a familiar aircraft, I don't buy it.

A transition from a descent to a climb with full control of the aeroplane should be easy, and if it isn't then it should be practised until it is.
GrahamB liked this
GrahamB wrote:You’d be surprised how many people I see only apply partial power when doing a go-around in VMC.

Guilty as charged

On a light, slippery aeroplane with a lot of excess power opening the throttle fully is unnecessary, it is also likely to push me up against the flap limiting speed (85kt) very quickly whilst my attention is on other things.

I know how much power is needed to check a descent and start a comfortably quick climb. The stick will soon tell me if I have got it wrong.

Rob P
lobstaboy, GrahamB, Nick and 2 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
GrahamB wrote:A heavily laden C152 with full flaps extended is a different matter.

But that's still going down, even with full power!

Ibra wrote:I have yet to see 20ft tall giraffe doing a crossing in Wales, knowing what to expect helps to deal with the shock moment :shock:

Have you read JAFO's book? If you haven't, you should read it! :D
Dave W, Ibra liked this
Ibra wrote:.. I have yet to see 20ft tall giraffe doing a crossing in Wales, ..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58556726

there's a special Welsh folk song to help pilots remember to check for animal hazards on strips there :) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyfri%27r_Geifr
Ibra liked this