Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Forum readers may be interested in new proposals for another drone TDA slap bang in the middle of the Class G to the North of Brize Norton. Details from the consultation letter below. Consultation closes 10 October and comments go back to matt@nexusnine.co.uk

I have made comments on behalf of my organisations comments on the size (bigger than an ATZ), the disruption and traffic choking this will create to GA in and transiting this area and questioning why this testing cannot take place in an area already being used for drone testing, ideally remote away from GA traffic flows.

ACP-2021-029 (Moreton-In-Marsh TDA)

Moreton-In-Marsh sits within Class G airspace approximately 15nm North of RAF Brize Norton. This ACP application is for a TDA lasting up to 90 days centred on the disused airfield at Moreton-In-Marsh with a radius of 3nm. The proposal activates the airspace from the surface to 2500’ AMSL. Initial TDA activity is planned to commence from AIRAC 2112 (2 Dec 21) where it is anticipated that the impact on GA is minimised.

The TDA will be activated by NOTAM via the NATS system, aiming to give at least a weeks’ notice of intended activity. Options for the provision of a Danger Area Activity Information Service (DAAIS) are currently being reviewed and the Sponsor would provide a mobile number for PPR co-ordinated activity within the TDA where it is practical. UAS operations would always immediately cease upon requests to enter the TDA by Emergency Services aircraft.

It is anticipated that the TDA will only be utilised during weekday daylight hours in blocks of up to 3 days at a time. We will aim to conduct 2 ‘blocks’ of activity per month, totally approximately 18 days of activity during the 90-day TDA validity period. We would though, reserve the right to amend this plan.

By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'll guess that the trials are to do with UAS support to the emergency services.

Moreton-in-the-Marsh disused is the home of the Fire Service College, with all sorts of interesting training scenarios available. There's even a Tornado and Cessna 172 there.
By Rjk983
xtophe wrote:It's about Counter UAS technology so more police / RAF than fire service

Which probably explains the TDA being larger than an ATZ so that a drone can be launched outside a notional ATZ then "countered"

But it does beg the question why this is being done in a heavily trafficked part of the UK rather than more remote location that would allow the aim (and possibly nore) to be achieved without inconveniencing/endangering other airspace users.
xtophe wrote:https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/PublicProposalArea?pID=363

Feedback form is at the end of the Stakeholder Engagement Letter: https://airspacechange.caa.co.uk/docume ... nload/3554
But it basically just inviting any comments

The form is there, but you can't complete it online - looks like download, do it by hand , scan and submit.

Temporary I can accept, but the idea of a permanent bit of airspace just there is quite ridiculous. Isn't that what NOTAMs (or whatever they are called now) are for ?
By Cowshed
The chart used to illustrate the application isn't the current chart - it doesn't show the new ATZ at Little Rissington (its the version that showed the Pershore HIRTA incorrectly too).

Once the Little Rissington ATZ is factored in, it makes for a pinch point near Stow-on-the-Wold, or forces East-West traffic between Moreton and Wellesbourne.

I'm not too bothered about a temporary danger area (they mention 18 days of activation out of the 90 period), but I would be concerned if it were to become a permanent arrangement.
By Rjk983
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Rjk983 wrote:But it does beg the question why this is being done in a heavily trafficked part of the UK rather than more remote location

Time to get there by car from home I would guess.

I don’t doubt that you are correct. Possibly also for training use of the eventual solution to all police forces. But that doesn’t mean that it is the right place to be doing it, just because it could be convenient for the current trial.

Somewhere like Llanbedr or benbecula would also provide ample airspace, in places that have suitable short term accommodation for the trials team to deploy for a week or so testing, and for the eventual training courses to be ran. But without causing problems for all other airspace users.

The more I think about it I really don’t understand why the CAA don’t get hold of one of the more remote, under used government Aerodromes and then mandate that any company wanting to trial a drone, or other new unpersoned technology, can do so in the CAA run location for a trials facility admin fee. If the drone companies are serious about their tech then they will find the money. If they are just trying to milk the grants available, then they may think twice.

Either way the rest of the airspace users, and the general public, would be able to get on with our lives.