Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ThePipster
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I couldn't help but notice the seat harness in the photo to the right:

Given how high the lap strap is across his torso, I am pretty sure that the poor chap would have some very nasty injuries should they have a crash. I was taught straps should be worn, "always as a girdle, never as a bra!"

Pipster
Nick liked this
By MattL
Four point harnesses are often pretty useless in sitting properly - you need the fifth anti g / submarine strap really. You often also need to show people the order to do up / tighten straps as well to get the correct siting.
By VRB_20kt
Dunno about the Skyranger but often enough it’s a matter of loosening the shoulder straps - or not clipping them in - and then making the lap belt tight on the hips before anything else. It can be a faff and in some aircraft is almost impossible because of the way the harnesses have been made.
StratoTramp liked this
By PeteM
Maybe a bit unfair to snipe at media pictures - but it is a very valid point.

I try to take particular care with new passengers in explaining that the lap strap must lie over the hips and BE TIGHT. The shoulder straps stop you head butting the panel - which most folk understand. The point about being upside down and wholly dependent on the lap strap is not obvious to many folk.

But having been left upside down during an incident I'm pretty keen on it!

p.s. remember to always put your arm up to support yourself before letting the belt off - if you end up upside down!
mick w, StratoTramp liked this
By Spooky
leiafee wrote:One of my niggles since moving to the Skyranger is the almighty potch it is to get the harness to sit right. It rides up exactly like that.

If any other Skyranger owners here have a fix I’m all ears.

Put weight on so you can anchor the waist belt securely under your tummy :lol:
Sooty25 liked this
By Aerials
leiafee wrote:One of my niggles since moving to the Skyranger is the almighty potch it is to get the harness to sit right. It rides up exactly like that. If any other Skyranger owners here have a fix I’m all ears.

The harness in our Skyranger is presumably the same as yours Leia. The lap strap leaves one's hip to make a direct line to the seat pan and back junction then onwards to the cross tube. There, it is wrapped around tube tu9 (2? or) 3 times before making the upward route to the seat pan and back junction then onward to the hip. My method of adjustment is to try to estimate the amount of slack or tightness on the adjustable side when the buckle is central and the strap is properly round the hips. Then, it is disembark, tilt the seat and pull the slack through one way or the other. It does involve moving the strap around the tube one turn at a time. Keep going till it's comfortable. Repeat for the shoulder harness straps.
It's a right faff and I'd rather have individual straps with individual adjustments but there's nowhere to anchor them.
leiafee liked this