Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SteveX
Aerials wrote:
leiafee wrote:One of my niggles since moving to the Skyranger is the almighty potch it is to get the harness to sit right. It rides up exactly like that. If any other Skyranger owners here have a fix I’m all ears.

The harness in our Skyranger is presumably the same as yours Leia. The lap strap leaves one's hip to make a direct line to the seat pan and back junction then onwards to the cross tube. There, it is wrapped around tube tu9 (2? or) 3 times before making the upward route to the seat pan and back junction then onward to the hip. My method of adjustment is to try to estimate the amount of slack or tightness on the adjustable side when the buckle is central and the strap is properly round the hips. Then, it is disembark, tilt the seat and pull the slack through one way or the other. It does involve moving the strap around the tube one turn at a time. Keep going till it's comfortable. Repeat for the shoulder harness straps.
It's a right faff and I'd rather have individual straps with individual adjustments but there's nowhere to anchor them.

One of the many reasons I have no interest in chancing my life to anything 'permit'. Quite frankly some of the accident reports and the diy nature of these designs is laughable in many circumstances.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I seem to be wearing mine wrong! Thanks to @RayP for pointing me here. :thumleft:

Admittedly getting stuff around my spherical belly is pretty tricky :lol:
By lobstaboy
VRB_20kt wrote:Dunno about the Skyranger but often enough it’s a matter of loosening the shoulder straps - or not clipping them in - and then making the lap belt tight on the hips before anything else. It can be a faff and in some aircraft is almost impossible because of the way the harnesses have been made.

Yes. This is key. Have the shoulder straps loose. Wriggle your bum as far back into the seat as possible and tighten the lap strap(s) until they are hurting you. Then comfortably tighten the shoulder straps.
The straps in a Skyranger are an abomination, but are perfectly safe and comfortable once adjusted correctly (unfortunately as noted above this is difficult particularly in a group aeroplane when frequent adjustments are needed - or after a massive fly-in burger fest).
leiafee liked this
By lobstaboy
StratoTramp wrote:I seem to be wearing mine wrong! Thanks to @RayP for pointing me here. :thumleft:

Admittedly getting stuff around my spherical belly is pretty tricky :lol:

Without wanting to get too anatomical or personal - the lap strap needs to go underneath any belly protrusion. You need to feel that it is holding your pelvis back and down into the angle between the seat back and seat pan.
StratoTramp liked this
By Cessna571
I used to wear a harness for car racing.

The order of the day is to do it up as tight as you can at the hips first.

Then do the shoulder straps up as tight as you can.

Then,

Half way round the first lap, you’d be trying to pull it even tighter.

I presume this is only happens in aircraft if you are doing extreme aerobatics?
By Paul_Sengupta
Cessna571 wrote:The order of the day is to do it up as tight as you can at the hips first.

Then do the shoulder straps up as tight as you can.

Then...

<Bulldog procedure>

...loosen the shoulder straps again to be able to get to the fuel cock and circuit breakers...

</Bulldog procedure>
kanga, Ben K liked this
By TheFarmer
Looking at the photo, all I can says is it’s a damn site better than some of the single lap straps I’ve flown behind in various vintage toys over the years.
kanga, StratoTramp liked this