Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Travelling from airfield to airfield, there's no shortage of DIY fuel solutions for the storage of fuel, and pumping into aircraft (thinking mainly of grass strips and smaller fields where pumps don't exist). I've seen wheelbarrow pumps, motorbike bottles... everything!

Keen to see what you use - for travel in car, for filtering fuel (do you filter?), and pumping into aircraft e.g. a Eurostar with a side filler where funnels are not easily used.
Tuff Jugs. No filter, no funnel, no fuel leaking out until you press down on the jug and open the valve.

I have one 20ltr Tuff Jug and two 20ltr jerry cans. I decant fuel from the cans once the Tuff Jug has been used. I’ve seen the 10ltr Jugs used with high wing and, to be honest, they are probably more practical than the 20ltr. Obviously takes more mucking around to fill the tanks but less of a bicep workout.
By SafetyThird
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
RayP wrote:20 litre jerry cans and a polarn pump.
(Polarn stopped making them but this is the same thing https://www.shop.flylight.co.uk/jerry-c ... 1211-p.asp )

I use the same thing. Though I also have a folding jerry can for going away places, takes up little space in the luggage compartment, carries 20l and I made up a longer hose so I can just lay it on the top of the wing, stick the hose in the fuel port and open the valve leaving it to drain under gravity.
Whichever system you end up using, make sure you consider where any build up of static is going to go - particluar if using plastic. Life can get interesting very, very quickly with a spark from the container to the fuel tank. I think you can guess how I know (although I was just an observer at the time).
By Smaragd
RayP wrote:20 litre jerry cans and a polarn pump.
(Polarn stopped making them but this is the same thing https://www.shop.flylight.co.uk/jerry-c ... 1211-p.asp )

We have this particular one: https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/motorcycle-accessories/motorcycle-accessories_c90/fuel-jugs_c2587/never-stop-fuel-pump-for-20l-jerry-can-1020_pid-PIA-53560 . However we have added an extra tube to achieve a 2 metre lift, and earthing lead. Can't report on longevity yet, but it empties a 20 lt can in well under 2 minutes. Detailed pictures available on request.
By avtur3
ikcarusflyer wrote:Are you earthing it to the airframe? I would have thought the metal can would provide a ground path from the can?

Earthing and bonding are two different issues and are often confused. What is important when transferring fuel into an aircraft is ‘bonding’ of the aircraft to the fuel supply.
Static electricity is generated when fuel flows through a fuelling hose. The static difference that ‘could’ arise is between the aircraft and the fuel supply. This difference can be eliminated by ‘bonding’ the aircraft to the fuel supply. That is why a cable is connected from the fuel supply to the aircraft, this is bonding … not grounding or earthing.
If a static charge was to develop during a fuelling operation it would be between the aircraft and the fuel supply, that is why a bonding connection is made.
As much as you may think that static charge from fuel movement is of no consequence in the GA environment I can assure you that a gravity feed of fuel into an overwing fuelling port at as little as 5 litres per minute can generate a static charge capable of generating a spark that would jump a 5mm gap.
I know his because I have spent many years training fuel system operators around the world.
Many years ago it was thought that ‘earthing’ was also necessary, in fact this has proven to be a none issue. A spark can only occur where there is a ‘potential difference’ in fuelling terms that difference is between that aircraft and the fuel supply
PeteSpencer, PaulSS, Nick liked this
By seanxair
I have to confess I don't understand how a spark may be created but the risk is obviously there and I'm now concerned about my own fuelling arrangements.

I use HDPE jerry cans https://www.huenersdorff.de/en/products/huenersdorff/fuel-can-profi-20-litres-p100-1001-10012.html

attached to which I use a Stihl spout https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Products/Fuel-oils-and-canisters/Canisters/21048-1561/Filling-system-for-fuel.aspx.

The spout activates directly through pressure on the fuel tank metal opening and I'm filling non metal tanks. There is auto cut off on the Stihl spout incidentally.

I have a dedicated jerry can which I filter the fuel into and then use to dump into the tanks. I've added a bicycle tube valve to the bottom end of the jerry can so when upside down I open that which lets air in to speed up the flow.

I'm now wondering if all this presents a bigger risk than I thought even though there is direct contact between spout and fuel tank anytime there is flow?

And how would I bond them should I need to?
By Smaragd
avtur3 wrote:Earthing and bonding are two different issues and are often confused. What is important when transferring fuel into an aircraft is ‘bonding’ of the aircraft to the fuel supply.

So what is the appropriate bonding solution for this set-up: metal jerry can (painted inside and out), plastic Polarn-type pump and piping into plastic funnel placed in metal neck of fuel tank? Or what should we do differently?