Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mr spog
We have an acrylic windshield and polycarbonate doors on our aircraft. We clean them with Clear view or similar, but I know in the distant past some people have recommended using Pledge.
I recall that you need a non silicon based spray, and Pledge comes in Normal and Lemon. Do any formites have experience of this over the long term? Is it ok to use it on both these surfaces? I know it will clean the surface, but I need to ensure that it is not damaging the plastic.
Feedback would be welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Don't use aerosol Pledge, the propellant contains butane which could damage the surface. In the US they use trigger Pledge which doesn't have a propellant apart from a human based one.

If you really have to use it, spray it on a cloth and wait for a bit before introducing it to the plastic.

Edit: I've just done a search and I see that Wilko now do this:

https://www.wilko.com/pledge-everyday-clean-multi-surface-trigger-sunshine-day/p/0517774

However I've no idea if it's suitable.
By Cessna571
We have a cloudy passenger window because someone once tried something new to clean it.

It’s a few hundred quid to replace apparently.

Be careful, very careful.
By Shoestring Flyer
I have used Pledge 'Classic' in aerosol format ( £1 from Wilko)for the last 25-30years on all of the windshields of the different aircraft that I have owned and never had any issues, crazing or otherwise. :D
A replacement canopy for my current aircraft (used Pledge on it for last 5years from new)is circa £6000 so I would be somewhat slightly miffed if anything now happened to it!!
Rob P, BEX liked this
By Boxkite
4 cans of aerosol Pledge polish for sale :D

Wanted: pull-trigger version of Pledge polish :wink:
(The multi-surface cleaner of pledge is not much of a polish in my experience, but might be OK for getting bugs off of paintwork)
By Rob P
Shoestring Flyer wrote:I have used Pledge 'Classic' in aerosol format ( £1 from Wilko)for the last 25-30years on all of the windshields of the different aircraft that I have owned and never had any issues, crazing or otherwise

Same here. :thumleft:

Rob P
Shoestring Flyer, BEX liked this
By Sir Morley Steven
I bought some window and plexiglass cleaner off Amazon. It smelt strongly of acetone so I binned it.
Autoglym fast glass works.
By GrahamB
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Autoglym fast glass works.

I agree. It's what I've used for years.
By Rob L
I would argue it's not what you use, but how you use it.
Aircraft glazing can be very expensive to replace, and easy to damage. Don't let Students clean the glazing :pale: .

Always clean with lots of water and new microfibre or cotton towels (never paper ones). Use soap, not detergent. Wash along the slipstream direction (so fore-and-aft on the windscreen and fore-and aft on the side windows. NEVER in a circular motion :| )
Rinse well.

I use lemon Pledge or Autoglym; pretty much the same. After cleaning, the wax fills the miniscule scratches so reducing glare.

Don't put headsets on the glareshield; that helps protect the inside surface of the windscreen.

Hope that helps,
Rob
Rob P liked this
By rf3flyer
The one I like(d) was Johnson SPARKLE. Very benign but sadly no longer available. I contacted Johnson a couple of years ago and they appeared to know nothing about it. I even had to send photos of the can and its markings to persuade them they used to make the stuff. Not very helpful, I know.

I still have some in my final can but when that's gone, it's gone. :(
mick w liked this
By mr spog
Ok, so Autoglym Fast Glass is also recommended. (I actually use that at home and it is great).
Some have used Pledge (Regular and lemon) for many years without a problem. Can anyone confirm that they use it successfully on Polycarbonate as well?
By Rob L
mr spog wrote:Ok, so Autoglym Fast Glass is also recommended. (I actually use that at home and it is great).
Some have used Pledge (Regular and lemon) for many years without a problem. Can anyone confirm that they use it successfully on Polycarbonate as well?

Yes
By Paul_Sengupta
Boxkite wrote:4 cans of aerosol Pledge polish for sale :D

Hey, don't take my word for it, many people use it without a problem, I'm just relaying what I've read! They may have changed the propellant now for all I know. Try spraying it through a lighter flame and see what happens.

Boxkite wrote:(The multi-surface cleaner of pledge is not much of a polish in my experience, but might be OK for getting bugs off of paintwork)

If you want a waxy polishy thing to go on top, I would highly recommend the Aeroshell plexiglass coating stuff. It fills in the scratches a treat. I'd possibly recommend using the multi surface cleaner first to get the flies off as it's not quite liquidy enough for general cleaning. A go over with Aeroshell should only required every so often, not every time you clean it.

Which reminds me.... ( @leiafee ) LEIA! I lent you my bottle of Aeroshell stuff a few years ago and not had it back yet! :D

https://www.aircraftspruce.eu/covering-supplies/cleaners/aeroshell/aeroshell-flight-jacket-plexicoat.html