Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BobD
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Aldi's Power Force Multy Purpose aerosol works well on the screen of my Europa, and the spray Surface Cleaner is brilliant at removing the bugs on the leading edges.
By TopCat
Apart from when I'm washing the whole aeroplane, I only ever use water on the windows. I use a sponge, and then one of those fake chamois leathers. Getting rid of streaks and bugs was always a pre-flight item drilled into me by my instructor who made me ensure that the windscreen was bug-free before every lesson.

It's a habit that stuck - mostly, anyway.
By Flintstone
In days of yore I worked in a hangar and was tasked with treating the windscreens of a small fleet of Islanders with Rain-X.

Several weeks later the windscreens had become crazed to the degree that they required replacement. Possibly coincidence, the argument with the manufacturers was still in full swing when I left, but I've not touched the stuff since.
By lobstaboy
Another vote for Plexus. Yes it is expensive but it's loads better than anything else and is safe to use.
My technique is to clean using a clean microfibre cloth and copious amounts of water with just a smidge of washing up liquid (smidge = tiny drop in a gallon bucket, just enough to help it wet, bubbles mean it's too much). Washing up liquid is nasty stuff with salt and other undesirable chemicals so really I should use something else.
Let it dry naturally. Then a quick polish with Plexus, sparingly applied, using a different clean microfibre cloth.
I'm trying to remember all the time that the aim is to get grot off the surface, not put more on. I once saw a screen 'cleaned' with a sponge that the owner had used for car washing. Afterwards it looked like he'd attacked it with grinding paste...
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
UpThere wrote:Plexus Plastic Cleaner is very effective at cleaning bugs off and sealing the plastic, but it's become ridiculously expensive.

Sealing the plastic? Does it fill/improve minor scratches? Is it ok on windscreens?

I wouldn't much care how expensive it was if it actually removed scratches.
By Sir Morley Steven
It says it does. I see no difference between that and the autoglym apart from Plexus being pressurised spray.
By lobstaboy
TopCat wrote:
UpThere wrote:Plexus Plastic Cleaner is very effective at cleaning bugs off and sealing the plastic, but it's become ridiculously expensive.

Sealing the plastic? Does it fill/improve minor scratches? Is it ok on windscreens?

I wouldn't much care how expensive it was if it actually removed scratches.

Yes it does fill minor scratches. I believe that when it dries it leaves material with the same refractive index as the plastic of the windscreen in the scratch - so light passes without divergence which renders the scratch invisible.
It certainly seems to work.
Different plastics will have slightly different refractive indices, but it seems that the differences small enough that Plexus works well on all of them.
TopCat liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Clearview is more liquidy and good for cleaning but doesn't fill in the scratches that much. Plexus is a bit less liquidy, cleans ok and leaves a bit of polish filling in the scratches a little more. Aeroshell Plexicoat doesn't clean well but does better than Plexus in filling in the minor scratches.
By GAFlyer4Fun
lobstaboy wrote:.... using a clean microfibre cloth ...

How are people cleaning/storing microfibre cloths?

There seems to be a difference between a brand new microfibre cloth and a microfibre cloth that has been cleaned, even if soak it in water again to try and soften it for use.
By Milty
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:.... using a clean microfibre cloth ...

How are people cleaning/storing microfibre cloths?

There seems to be a difference between a brand new microfibre cloth and a microfibre cloth that has been cleaned, even if soak it in water again to try and soften it for use.

You should use a specific microfibre detergent (something like chemical guys microfibre wash). Don’t use powder, don’t use fabric conditioner or bleach.

Don’t mix microfibres with other washing - it picks up nd clogs with lint.

Max temperature of 60 degrees c (some say 40 but I find 60 is OK).

Air dry or tumble dry on a low setting. Air dry is supposed to prolong the life. Don’t dry on a radiator. Fold and store in a covered container.

See https://www.chemicalguysuk.co.uk/how-to-wash-microfiber-towels/

I have no affiliation to chemical guys. I’ve just used their was product for car detailing microfibres. Don’t buy cheap microfibre towels either. Check out towels on sites like slims detailing or clean your ride.
GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By Tac_R
Another vote for Plexus - used it on the Club aircraft in a previous life (I recall the Gliding fraternity recommended it / swore by it at the time), and it's all I'll use on my own Arrow's 'screen.

Cheers,

David