Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hmmmm start up in 2 years and the regulator (I presume) needs to approve the procedures........ :?
By Trent772
CloudHound wrote:Better link https://urbanairport.com/

Ricky Sandhu & Adrian Zanelli mean business and you’ll see their first demonstration in Coventry later this year.

Where the airport just closed..... :roll:
By RisePilot
This is all predicated on availability of financing; which will not be happening here for aircraft that don't exist yet.

The name mentioned above is into serviced office space; seems he's run out of ideas. Additionally, the renders look like hell.
Last edited by RisePilot on Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
By G-JWTP
They better get their planning application in soon.

After all it only took 8 years to turn Sywells grass runway concrete.

G-JWTP
By RisePilot
Press releases help keep their name in the news. I expect that's the intention as their main business (office space) is not exactly hot just now.
By Genghis the Engineer
Details here.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articl ... -services/

It's all very silly really isn't it. If services like this were viable, we'd have been doing them with helicopters for years. If eVTOL air taxis were viable, the large aerospace primes would be jumping on it. If you could certify novel air vehicles in only two years, Leonardo would have had the AW609 in production 16years ago.

What I don't get is that I'm an academic in this area, and I know many of the other academics in this area, and we're all quite happy to take consultancy. To the best of my knowledge not one of the venture capitalists throwing millions into these snake oil factories have attempted to consult with me or anybody like me. Who is letting them throw all of this money away with apparently no expert advice whatsoever.

G
By ThePipster
Genghis the Engineer wrote: Who is letting them throw all of this money away with apparently no expert advice whatsoever.

G

I suspect that a big chunk of the money is grant money allocated to make it look like the politians are doing something positive towards becoming carbon net-zero.

As you say, if there was a real need it would have been fullfilled by helicopters years ago.

Pipster
By johnm
The key difference is the expectation that these eVTOL taxis will be a great deal cheaper than helicopters......and so will the infrastructure needed for support.
By ThePipster
johnm wrote:The key difference is the expectation that these eVTOL taxis will be a great deal cheaper than helicopters......and so will the infrastructure needed for support.

You could well be correct, but I can't see anything that flies being cheap enough to be viable. Airliners got bigger and bigger to scale to make flying more affordable, but the thing about a taxi is that generally 75 people don't all want to go to the same restaurant or hotel at the same time. Throw in a bit of British weather and it would be better to bring back trams!

Pipster