Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Nige321
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Details here.

https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articl ... -services/

It's all very silly really isn't it. If services like this were viable, we'd have been doing them with helicopters for years. If eVTOL air taxis were viable, the large aerospace primes would be jumping on it. If you could certify novel air vehicles in only two years, Leonardo would have had the AW609 in production 16years ago.

What I don't get is that I'm an academic in this area, and I know many of the other academics in this area, and we're all quite happy to take consultancy. To the best of my knowledge not one of the venture capitalists throwing millions into these snake oil factories have attempted to consult with me or anybody like me. Who is letting them throw all of this money away with apparently no expert advice whatsoever.

G

You mean like Bell
https://www.bellflight.com/products/bell-nexus

or Airbus
https://www.airbus.com/innovation/zero-emission/urban-air-mobility.html
JAFO liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Point taken, although both of those look like "future project" level basic ideas exploration on the fringes of corporate activity, not core business. And note not a single photograph of actual hardware in those pages.

G
JAFO liked this
By Boxkite
SpeedBrake wrote:That circular building looks really cost-effective to manufacture and its a really efficient use of space.

And it only accommodates one aircraft, so obviously they don't envisage being that busy.
Imagine the aircraft not being ready for flight (tech issue, needs charging....) and another one arrives :roll:
Don't let reality get in the way of fantasising (and applying for 'saving the planet' grants).
bogopper, RisePilot liked this
By johnm
Technical specs : 15 minute autonomy

So how's that gonna work then... :roll:

It's all a question of where it leads....

Wright flyer 1903

Handley Page type O 1916
By CloudHound
It's all a question of where it leads....

Or if the leads long enough to reach the socket! :lol:

Energy densification in battery technology is the main prize and there are a number of novel materials being trialled which both increase capacity and reduce recharge times.
johnm liked this
By Rjk983
Grelly wrote:Perhaps this is a way we can keep threatened airfields open.

Just a thought...

Not really.

The main use case for this sort of hub would be in or very close to population centres to allow the taxi concept to work. Most existing airfields are as far from population centres as possible.

The technology of the vehicle that will use this is years/decades away from being a commercial reality.

Most airfields that are under threat are far more valuable to the present owner if sold for housing than any form of aviation use.

And even if this nonsense did save an airfield all it would do is displace the current GA users so the airfield may be saved but it’s use would be lost.

So, no.. on many levels…