Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By eltonioni
Apologies if I couldn't find the answer with a search, but is there any way of flying into Manston these days? Preferably fixed wing, but rotary at a push.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's officially a closed airport but I guess you could give the owners (RiverOak Strategic Partners) a call and ask: https://rsp.co.uk/about/
By Stampe
As above I,m sure the helpful team at Polar Helicopters will be able to help I do not think there is any chance of fixed wing at present.Good luck let us know how you get on!
By eltonioni
Cheers folks, much appreciated.
By chevvron
I believe the helicopter operation is separate from the airport.
Last I heard from Riveroak was that they were looking at early 2022 to re-start operations but it seems to have gone quiet; just a guess but I bet the runway has been damaged by the lorries parked there.
By kanga
joystick wrote:More airspace restrictions :| It's nice at moment you can wander all round the coast :)

Perhaps they'll have radar with operators as helpful to passing GA as they used to be when it was RAF .. :wink:
Rob P, Nick liked this
By Iceman
Manston used to provide a good LARS service in an area otherwise devoid of such a service, and this continued post-RAF. They also had valuable instrument approaches which provided a good training environment. Manston remains the only place where I’ve done a PAR approach.

Iceman 8)
Rob P, B1engineer liked this
By Rob P
How I missed Manston last Friday. Tibenham to Le Touquet, London Info opened my flightplan, but I couldn't even squeeze my "coasting out Clacton" call in until the middle of the Thames Estuary.

They gave up and suggested I talked to Southend, who weren't the least bit interested as I approached Dover.

I called Lille at Dover and they said they couldn't find me until I gave them the hint that I was still in the UK.

Dire.

Rob P
Iceman liked this
By Ibra
Rob P wrote:London Info opened my flightplan..They gave up and suggested I talked to Southend, who weren't the least bit interested as I approached Dover.I called Lille at Dover and they said they couldn't find me until I gave them the hint that I was still in the UK.

I had few crossings like that, you feel being unwanted near Canterbury?

Lille radar should pick you up to 80nm but I think you have to be above 3kft-4kft? I doubt they offer un “Service Très Basique” but you can ask :lol:
By Rob P
I was at 5.000ft and they found me eventually and gave an FIS

Rob P
Ibra, Flyin'Dutch' liked this