Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rusty eagle
I want to fly on a route that takes me across three adjacent MATZs. When I get clearance from the first one, how are the other ones typically handled? Its a short flight so I'd rather not over fly or route around.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Boxkite wrote:
NDB_hold wrote:Sometimes actually handled by one agency as a 'clutch MATZ' (CMATZ on the chart). Otherwise I’d expect a handover.

You probably mean a 'Combined' MATZ....

I think the term combined MATZ refers to several that actually overlap as did the MLD/LAK/HON CMATZ before Honington closed rather than spacially separate/discrete MATZs albeit only separated by a few miles.

If you look at the legend on the bottom of the Southern half mil you will see that the MATZ Controlling Aerodrome frequency to call is listed in UK AIP ENR 2.2.

Especially important for the Waddo/Scampton/Cranwell/Barkston Heath/Coningsby CMATZ.................

If they're separate, eg LAK etc and Marham then its a freecall to each.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By James Chan
As others have said - no clearance needed unless you want to go through the ATZ.
I fly through a MATZ or several of them under a Traffic Service. It works well and they hand me over to a new frequency if they need to.
By NDB_hold
GrahamB wrote:
Rob P wrote:You don't 'need' a clearance through a MATZ.

Anyone with an ounce of sense 'wants' one.

Rob P

Or even an ‘Approval to penetrate’.

That can be very important to get… #metoo
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:Anyone with an ounce of sense 'wants' one.

Though with two ounces, you get to know which ones you need and which ones you don't at various times. For instance on the weekend, I've never bothered with one for Middle Wallop and in 20 years I've never seen any traffic, and if Boscombe Down radar is not operating at the weekend, I don't need one for that either.
By chevvron
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Though with two ounces, you get to know which ones you need and which ones you don't at various times. For instance on the weekend, I've never bothered with one for Middle Wallop and in 20 years I've never seen any traffic, and if Boscombe Down radar is not operating at the weekend, I don't need one for that either.

Boscombe always operate non radar at weekends so there will still be traffic about.
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:

Quite so (my italics)

But you would be nuts to disregard MLD/LKH CMATZ even at weekends..................