Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not really a GA question, but does anyone have a contact email in the MOD or webpage who can explain the reason why so many Chinooks need to fly along the Thames around 1,000-3,000ft at various hours of the day and night?

My simple mind thinks FL90 would make a better transit altitude! :)
By Hooligan
I believe it's training to keep crews familiar with the low level routes - they are occasionally called upon to visit London establishments for various reasons. Also Pumas, Apaches and I have even seen a pair of Ospreys in helicopter mode following the Thames.
kanga liked this
By Rjk983
James Chan wrote:Not really a GA question, but does anyone have a contact email in the MOD or webpage who can explain the reason why so many Chinooks need to fly along the Thames around 1,000-3,000ft at various hours of the day and night?

My simple mind thinks FL90 would make a better transit altitude! :)

I would be asking why they are so high, the poor crew will get nosebleeds.
kanga liked this
By gaznav
There are drop off and pick up points along the way that most people don’t need to know about. It’s also a couple of trips for the OCU syllabus if I recall correctly for when they might have to do it for a proper tasking :thumright:
By Chilli Monster
Because they can!

They’re Helicopters, London has a Heliroute structure. FL90 is an IFR transit level, most Helicopters, especially the Military, operate VFR.

Is this the fixed wing version of P***$ envy perhaps?

(and they were not above 1300ft QNH between the London Eye and Barnes, no way they’d get anywhere near 3000ft!)
JodelDavo liked this
By Rob L
I had three of them in loose formation at circa 500' pass over my house in the Midlands at about 3 pm today; then two hours later an Apache (I think) at (I estimate two thousand feet) going much slower than it's cruise speed; slower than the Chinooks.

Training, I thought. Nice to see (and hear)...much better than the pesky high-pitch Cabrios and R22s and R44s and Sikorsky civvy things.
By avtur3
We're about 35 miles south of the Thames (on the meridian line) and regularly we have Chinooks over flying at night, they do not display any lights and they do not show on any of the publicly available flight tracker offerings. They are always below 500ft. The flight path is always the same, out of the North East and towards the south West.

I trust they know what they are doing and whatever that is it is in my best interests.
kanga liked this
I trust they know what they are doing and whatever that is it is in my best interests.

It’s not that long ago I shook hands with a chinook pilot who had three DFCs! There are a number of others with the same award, and plenty with significant medals to their names. They are easily the most decorated fleet in the Royal Air Force currently, and won’t have been outshone by many, ever? The aircraft’s capability is immense.

Like I said. Sleep safe, they’re on our side.
avtur3, kanga liked this
By avtur3
A4 Pacific wrote:

It’s not that long ago I shook hands with a chinook pilot who had three DFCs! There are a number of others with the same award, and plenty with significant medals to their names. They are easily the most decorated fleet in the Royal Air Force currently, and won’t have been outshone by many, ever? The aircraft’s capability is immense.

Like I said. Sleep safe, they’re on our side.

That's good to hear, so my trust is well placed.