Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Mmm, exceedingly good cakes....

When I was working in Pear Tree House in Newbury, it was up on the hill. The Chinooks flew quite close. If I was on the phone, leaning against a wall, the wall should start to vibrate just before I heard the Wokka sound. I'd have to tell the person on the other end of the phone to hold on a mo, as for a few moments, twice, as there would be a wingman, phonecalls were impossible! "Hold on a moment, there's a Chinook going over".

Another time it took me by surprise was driving up the M3 at night. The car started shaking. I then noticed the lights of the Chinook following the motorway, just above me as it pulled ahead. Then the car shook again as the wingman went over! :D

I've recounted it on here before, but my closest encounter was when I was standing at the strip one day. A Chinook came in to do a low approach - just as the Auster came in to land from the other end. :shock: The Chinook saw the Auster when the Chinook was over the strip and it pulled hard and banked away, right over my head!

I see them from my house in Guildford but they don't tend to get that close for some reason, maybe because of Farnborough, they all seem to fly to the south.
By PeteSpencer
The Chinook’s blade ‘pressure then noise ‘ footprint doesn’t last nearly as long as these fellas :

I could still feel the vibrations from this pair that went right over my house long after they had passed out of sight :roll:
By Chilli Monster
Colonel Panic wrote:Anyone who thinks that the never ending stream of Chinooks flying low along the Thames is a non-issue for residents doesn't live there. The noise is as dreadful as it is unnecessary.

Which bit of the Thames are you next to, because I don’t notice it much and I’m pretty much on the Heliroutes! And you might get the Chinooks twice a day max, other days none at all.
TonyP liked this
Chilli Monster wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Anyone who thinks that the never ending stream of Chinooks flying low along the Thames is a non-issue for residents doesn't live there. The noise is as dreadful as it is unnecessary.

Which bit of the Thames are you next to, because I don’t notice it much and I’m pretty much on the Heliroutes! And you might get the Chinooks twice a day max, other days none at all.

Yep, twice a day between about 10pm and 1 am on H3 tues and wed; it's 'night flying' night.
we don't notice it much ether; I've even seen 2 of them at 4.25 am one morning just as dawn was breaking when I was out 'slugging',
Living in Frimley which lies betweeen Odiham and Bagshot I am very lucky, and happy to see L/L Chinooks, Wildcats, Apaches sometimes even a Merlin transiting to and from the Bagshot VRP.....

A pretty good replacement for the now deceased Farnborough airshow.
SwanFIS wrote:Living in Frimley which lies betweeen Odiham and Bagshot I am very lucky, and happy to see L/L Chinooks, Wildcats, Apaches sometimes even a Merlin transiting to and from the Bagshot VRP.....

A pretty good replacement for the now deceased Farnborough airshow.

I lived in Frimley from 1980 to 1995 and moved east to Chobham (still on H3) after that.
There was a guy back in late '90s, a LATCC controller living in Camberley then based at West Drayton, who used to moan about every aircraft he saw on H3 inbound to/outbound from Bagshot both heli and fixed wing
Last edited by chevvron on Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwanFIS liked this
By ChampChump
An unusual sighting yesterday (maybe Monday, as it's so recent I've forgotten) at 18:15: Chinook over the town maybe 500-600'. Unusual as this little seaside town is visited seldom by such goodies.
kanga liked this